Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2023, 06:19 PM   #1
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
but why drill holes in the cross guard when one could more easily make a tight loop around the handle to attach the munsala?
I guess we’ll never know. I’ve seen an example where the Munsala was tied around the handle, not by a cord looped thru the bare holes.

Regarding the missing staple guard, here’s one that was clearly removed by cutting, only the nubs remain.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2023, 03:57 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

I got looking at this again today Kino.

I enlarged the photo. Some interesting features that align with your thoughts, not silver but interesting.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2023, 11:07 PM   #3
Sajen

I guess the kampy in question is heavily damaged, a big sector of the grip is missing and the tang maybe shortened. Just my opinion.

Here is another one without a staple guard I just acquired, I still haven't received it, so here is the auction picture and an enlargement of the handle.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 04:07 AM   #4
SanibelSwassa

Default Two Kampilan that came from DaveS collection

The first 2 came from DaveS collection and had the hair restored IMHO. The questions surrounding staples are very interesting and I am posting a pic of a complete exquisite example that was shared with me when I first started collecting… Gavin was this yours?? There were bells attached to this one and a unique carved scabbard.
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 06:19 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
The first 2 came from DaveS collection and had the hair restored IMHO. The questions surrounding staples are very interesting and I am posting a pic of a complete exquisite example that was shared with me when I first started collecting… Gavin was this yours?? There were bells attached to this one and a unique carved scabbard.
Nice Kampilan SanibelSwassa. Who was/is DavidS?

An interesting question arises as I type my response. Are Kampilan like fish?
1 is a Kampilan, is 2, 3, 4 or more, also Kampilan.

The one you ask of remains in my collection.
It is one of two that I retain, seen on the grey couch.
All others have been sold over the years, including another that was fully loaded which I admired a lot.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 01:09 PM   #6
SanibelSwassa

Gavin,

I should probably apologize for shorting his name… David Schmidt and his wife were/are prolific blade collectors and David was a longtime forum member. I didn’t get to know him, but am grateful for the time and passion he put into his collection. I do have several pieces that once belonged to David. Like several other longtime collectors here on the forum, David contributed to the preservation of both the art and culture embedded in these pieces of history.

From what I have been able to glean from the forum, David was willing to share thoughts, theories and insight along with significant resources to ensure a continued expansion in understanding and honoring the legacy that each piece embodies.

I’m personally thankful for those like Shelley M, Gavin, Chris C, and Erik F that have been willing to not only pass on fabulous pieces to me, but more importantly share their expertise, wisdom and knowledge with me. IMHO those of you that have shared here are incredible.

With that said Merry Christmas and here are a couple more “Kampili”… nod to Gavin.

Also here is a pretty good piece with situations for those interested. I hope the link works.
https://philippinestudies.uk/mapping/tours/show/16
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2023, 01:20 PM   #7
SanibelSwassa

Also I think we may have an answer as to the wholes in the guard section from the last pictures I posted of more intact Kampilan. It appears that there were sometimes other talismanic elements included in the form. These can be seen as discs or possibly colored stone or metal piercings to the hilt guard. From the limited pictures available I can’t tell if these were just nailed in or if they actually went all the through, but it’s a possible explanation.
Attached Images