Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th September 2023, 02:15 AM   #4
RobT

Default Which Which is Which

kronckew,
Much of the Google translation for the website sounds like California 60’s psychedelic rock lyrics (“Teeth of wood, teeth of grass Found a snake that had hooked fangs and was able to beat it”). I really like these blades and hope to get a few examples someday but first I need to match the pictures provided to the Phra O, Phra Kho, and Ai Deng texts.

Photo 1 (six blades): I believe that the first four blades are Ai Deng because “The short, slightly bent handle is the right size for your hand”. I assume that “bouncy” means that the blade is springy.
I believe that the last two blades are Phra O because “the handle is the longest part” and because “the neck of the knife is bent and curved into the groove of the shoulder”

Photos 3 & 4 (two views of the same blade): I believe that this is the long version of the Phra O which enables the owner to “use the tip of the stick in the ground and hold the base of your chin with your hand you can easily stand and watch Manohra compete”. (Fractured syntax not withstanding.)

Photo 5 (five blades): I believe that the four blades on the left are Phra Kho and the blade on the right is a long handled version of same because “the tip or head is bent like a parrot’s beak”. (Why, if he has access to one of these blades, the author finds it necessary “to use my teeth to clear the rubber plantations on a regular basis” is anybody’s guess.)

From what I can gather, Jerseyman’s very nice blade is also a Phra Kho. I would be very grateful to you if you could add clarity to Google’s woefully inadequate translation.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote