Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th March 2023, 07:22 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
Thank you for the feedback Jim, the basket does have a couple of unique features that does make it stand out. Not least that it's brass when the majority are steel (At least until the 1798 Pattern).

Another is that the typical loops found at the front of the guard are missing and there is no sign that they've been broken off.

However, I have seen another example of the exact same hilt style on a broadsword blade:
Absolutely my pleasure! and fascinating as I look further into this. I found some more on the apparent attraction of gilt brass hilts for officers swords in about third quarter 18th c. and these fashionably dressed forms.

In "Small Swords and Military Swords" by the late A.V.B.Norman (1967).
Example #6, a spadroon, 1763-64 with silver hilt. Note the character of the hilt, pommel and scrolled quillons.

Then an example I have of a British dragoon officers sword c.1775 stamped READ in guard (Read was a Dublin outfitter), and a similar example shown in Southwick...both with brass hilts, wire wrapped ivory grips, note pommels gadrooned.

These illustrate the ornate character of the period where the fashion of the small sword (and spadroon) lent to other hilts as well.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 09:58 PM   #2
urbanspaceman

Default Hounslow and Londin

I think it has been agreed-upon that not all four digit numbers refer to dates, but there was certainly plenty blade-work going on at Hounslow in 1668.
Much has been declared regarding the period following the end of the civil war and certainly many Germans found themselves in Oxford, either at Wolvercote or Gloucester Hall.
Despite this, and despite the much repeated statement that all the mills were commandeered by Cromwell and converted to powder mills, there remained significant activity. Obviously, Cromwell was not so stupid as to totally eradicate his own source of weapons.
Kindt was in Stone's mill; Cook and Risby were still there; and Dell was certainly working for one of them until taking over either Cook or Kindt's (Stone's) mill. Probably Kindt's as I suspect that Dell had served his time with Kindt.
Also, Peter Munsten and Johannes Hoppie were still around and were actually approached by representatives of King Charles 2nd regarding re-establishing a native sword-works.
The king, in 1674, was very keen to achieve this, but sadly nothing came of it, despite the London Cutlers approving of the project. It came to nothing because it was not deemed practical in the light of massive imports flooding into the country, and the Cutler's Company lacking the power to prevent it. They had repeatedly asked for the powers to not only curb poor quality imports and Birmingham junk, but also to prevent the enormous population of highly skilled Huguenots in London from taking work of the English.
However, what is sometimes overlooked is that Charles 2nd created and privately funded his own army, and those standing troops were exercising on Hounslow Heath, so any smiths and furbours around at the time will have found plenty work. In fact, Heinrich Hoppie jnr. and Peter Henkels returned to Hounslow and were working with Dell until they all moved up to Shotley Bridge in 1685.
This was, of course, absolutely in keeping with the need to arm the Royalist and Catholic militia that abounded in the Northern counties and Scotland.
Consequently, this blade may well have come from Hounslow but equally may have been made by Huguenots operating in London (Hounslow was outside of London).
I am not au fait with the history of basket hilts but I do know that pre. civil war Stone (1629 - 1642) was making hilts from brass which seriously angered the Cutler's Company who considered them insubstantial.
Actually, looking at the name Humffreies, and the spelling of Londin I feel certain it was a Huguenot product.

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 13th March 2023 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Final comment.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 10:45 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Keith thank you for responding on this, and your research on English sword making reflects the outstanding command of this history which is profoundly seen in your newly published "The Crown and Crossed Swords: German Sword Smiths in Shotley Bridge".

While Shotley was a later evolution of the great Hounslow venture of the earlier 17th century with German makers, as you well note there was still notable activity there even in the 1660s. There was a great dispersal of many of the smiths there when Cromwell overtook Hounslow in 1642, when a number of them left to follow Charles I to Oxford. Still, a number remained and as you well point out, Cromwell, despite turning some of them turned the mills into powder making sites. still had sword making activity.

I think your suggestion on Hugeunot potential for this blade is well placed.
It seems this convention of adding ANNO then date practiced it seems notably in Hounslow, then London on the blades indicates this was quite plausibly as indicated. The makers name on the blade HVMFFREIS and the curiously spelled LONDIN, seem telling.
No other blades marked London have this and are spelled correctly.

While Hounslow may have had activity, it seems that while it was in the proximity of London (12miles away) it was not technically in jurisdiction of the Cutlers Co. (which is why they could get away with the brass hilts). It does seem there was always a pretty brisk 'import' of German blades from Hounslow through Shotley and in the clouded periods between where numbers of independent cutlers were supplying the Board of Ordnance.
Oddly John Hawgood petitioned the B/O for permission to import some Solingen blades to fulfill his contact in 1685.
Perhaps he was adhering to rule as he was a master of the Cutlers Co. 1687.

Just wanted to add some of what I have been absorbed in concerning this blade on this basket hilt by Thomas Humphries, whose name does not seem to occur in any reference thus far.

It does seem this is a genuine heirloom blade mounted virtually a century later in this remarkable Scottish Stirling style hilt. I had not thought of the Huguenot potential, and as always, you come up with these astute thoughts often not thought of .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2023, 10:59 PM   #4
Radboud

Thank you for your insights Keith, on the topic of your book, is it still possible to order a physical copy?

Thanks
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2023, 12:13 AM   #5
urbanspaceman

Default Book

Hello Radboud.
The book has not actually been published. It will be a companion to the TV doc. - whenever that is - so copies have been printed by my local printer for reference and promotion. I sent one over to Jim.
If you are in the UK, you can get the printing company to print one copy and mail it to you. A lot of folks have done this. Last price was £20 plus £5 for P&P.
It is 148 pages in B5 format (10 x 7 inches) heavy glossy stock with a spiral bind... much better than the final commercial version will be: I think that may be a luxury magazine format.
If you are not in the UK I can send you one but it is not cheap to post abroad; I think I paid £10 to send Jim's to Texas.
Let me know how I can help.
Keith.
Attached Images

Old 14th March 2023, 12:17 AM   #6
urbanspaceman

Default alternatively

I can send you a 15mb pdf screen res copy by email or a full size 145mb pdf by WE which you can then have printed in NZ.
The WE transfer system is very good. Either option is free to you of course.

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 14th March 2023 at 12:18 AM. Reason: ps
Old 14th March 2023, 02:33 AM   #7
Radboud

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman View Post
I can send you a 15mb pdf screen res copy by email or a full size 145mb pdf by WE which you can then have printed in NZ.
The WE transfer system is very good. Either option is free to you of course.
Hi Keith,
I have an address in the UK that it can be posted to, I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
Bastiaan
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote