Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st September 2021, 12:21 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Considering the shape of the blade, do you think there is any possibility it might be a repurposed spear head?
Regards
Richard
Good observation Richard, its a possibility...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 02:19 PM   #2
drac2k

Colin, that is an interesting theory and as good as any that I have proposed.

Richard, the blade is almost 20" long, and rather than it being a cut-down spearhead, the likelihood is greater that it was a cutdown sword.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 01:59 PM   #3
shayde78

Hey drac!

Now I know who bids against me on that site! I had been intrigued by this lot, too, as the items were so disparate in origin and seemingly came from an estate with some high-end eclectic items. I always hope that another forum member wins and posts items I don't win but would still like to learn more about.

This sword struck me as having an African aesthetic, but based solely on my unrefined gut. Still, seems like something that would have served as tribal regalia.

If this indeed came from the lot I saw, I agree the swept hilt number is a 20th century repro. The Philippine blade looks very nice. I am very intrigued by the 4th item. It looks like the hilt/blade from a sword cane. However, the hilt looks a lot like a keris hilt decorated with nailheads. It made me wonder if the blade could be from a keris, but reprofiled to a uniform slender shape. Regardless, I was intrigued. Maybe you'll post and we can get some insights from the fine folks here
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 02:45 PM   #4
drac2k

Aha, my Arch Nemesis, LOL; I used to be able to get a deal there before I bumped into you. I think you are correct on all counts. The idea of it being a sword cane and African made sense, however for that to be true, I think it would have to be of recent manufacture as I am not familiar with Africans traditionally using these and this item seems to be well made and of some age.
In conclusion, It could be African, I think that it is a sword cane because it has a tapered but not a sharp edge; I don't think that it would be of much interest to others, but if you send me an email, I'll send you some pictures.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote