Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th July 2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

You're welcome Detlef. Perhaps people are digesting Cole's paper before replying. Or maybe the subject is a bit too "academic" for many folks.

I thought Cole's observations about the origins of the various groups in Northern Luzon was interesting, and helps explain the distribution of these groups in the past and today. My own interests are in the influence of Ilocano culture on the area, as it relates to edged weapons. The Spanish considered the Ilocanos the most "civilized" of the groups in northern Luzon, and Cole makes mention of them interbreeding with foreign groups, including Chinese immigrants. As the most cosmopolitan and technologically advanced group in northern Luzon at the time of the Spanish arrival, it is perhaps not surprising that their culture influenced many of the other groups in the region, primarily through trade. Again, Cole specifically mentions trading patterns between the Ilocanos and Pangasinan and the Tagalog areas.

The Tinguian, ethnologically similar to the Ilocanos, offer another avenue through which Ilocano technology and culture may have spread to other mountain dwelling groups when the former chose to preserve their traditional ways and move inland rather than convert to Catholicism and engage with the Spanish.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here is another figure from a different Cole article on the Distribution of Non-Christian Groups in NW Luzon. It is helpful in understanding the first article I posted.

Attached is a PDF file of the article and the map it contains.

Ian.

Complete reference: Distribution of the Non - Christian Tribes of Northwestern Luzon
Author(s): Fay Cooper Cole
Source: American Anthropologist, New Series, Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jul. - Sep., 1909), pp. 329-347
Published by: Wiley on behalf of the American Anthropological Association
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/659623

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Distribution of Non-Christian Tribes in NW Luzon.pdf (2.96 MB, 2124 views)
Old 14th July 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

On looking through my files of pictures that might reveal an example of a Tinguian knife, I came across this one. The knife resembles No. 1 in Cole's Figure 7 that I posted above. Note the small cut out notch for the forefinger, and the drop point blade. The hilt is a little different but otherwise it seems like a fairly close match.

I had filed this knife under "Ilocano," so pretty close to Tinguian.

Ian.

Attached Images

Old 15th July 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Shazam,

Thanks for bringing that quote up. Indeed, the distribution of quality weapons is an important contribution of the Ilocano/Tinguian groups and emphasizes the influence of this ethnic group on others in the region.

It is my belief that Ilocano/Tinguian weapons were traded widely to the south also, including Pangasinan and the Tagalog provinces. Cole makes mention of longstanding trade with those areas, and it seems that weapons manufacture was prominent among the Ilocano/Tinguian groups. I also think that later in the 20th C, the enterprising Ilocano/Tinguian craftsmen came to see the lucrative market of American servicemen at Clark AFB and Subic Bay Naval Base as a target for their goods. Whether some of them set up shop around those bases or traded their goods to local merchants is unclear, but many of the Ilocano/Tinguian style weapons ended up in the hands of U.S. servicemen. Some local manufacture does seem to have occurred as there is evidence of custom made pieces in the Ilocano/Tinguian style.

Ian.
Old 15th July 2018, 11:04 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Ian, in respect of this:-

" --- A curious feature on each of these knives is a small cut-out notch at the ricasso where, presumably, the forefinger would rest rather than slide down onto the sharpened edge ---"

this notch is called a "choil", its purpose is to permit the entire length of a blade to be sharpened (A.G. Russell)

There has been lengthy, ongoing debate about the choil in modern custom knife circles, but its purpose is clear;- it permits the entire length of a cutting edge to be sharpened and prevents damage to other parts of a knife during the process of sharpening.

It has the incidental effect of providing a warning to a user when his hand moves too far forward on the hilt, and in some knives the choil can be made large enough to permit the hand to move onto the blade, in this case the choil retains its original function, but loses its original form, in that it forms an unbroken line with the hilt, and is sometimes given a checkered or cross-hatched surface to prevent slippage.

In a work knife that is intended for detail work, the Balinese work knife shown below provides a design that permits full on-blade control, in that the section of blade that declines to the cutting edge from the hilt ferrule is left wide and unsharpened, a mere finger notch cannot provide anything like the same degree of blade control, and in a heavy blade that was expected to be used at times for chopping, a finger-on-blade design would have an adverse effect upon practicality.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 11:39 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Alan,

Thank you for the comment about choils. Yes, this feature certainly looks like a choil and may be intended for the purpose you describe. I used the word "curious" because such a feature is very uncommon on Filipino knives of the late 19th and early 20th C. I cannot recall seeing it on other knives from Luzon or Mindanao dating to that time period, and earlier examples are rather sparse and difficult to draw conclusions. As I mentioned earlier, there are occasional Visayan knives with similar features.

The question becomes where did the Tinguian get the idea to adopt this feature when they chose to avoid European contact and move inland? The Spanish certainly have knives with similar features but the Tinguian deliberately shunned them. Their Ilocano cousins, who had far more contact with the outside world, did not choose to adopt the feature and the Mountain groups with whom the Tinguian lived did not use a choil either. Maybe they reinvented the idea themselves. I just find it an odd and out of place observation that is intriguing.

Ian.
Old 15th July 2018, 11:58 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes Ian, I understood your comment to be within the context of knives from this geographic area. I added my post in an attempt to clarify exactly what that cutout was.

The addition of a choil to a blade is something that can occur anywhere, and without any outside influence. I used to cut a choil into the blades of knives I used as a kid, sub-12 years of age. I'd never seen a blade with a choil at that time, I did not know what a choil was, but I did know that if I didn't run a rats tail file across the blade edge up near the end of the cutting edge, I would damage the ferrule or the hilt itself, and the cutout made the blade easier to sharpen.

There is a theory known as "parallel development". Broadly it states that similar things happen at similar times in widely spaced places and without any cross contact or influence.

Possibly that is what we can see in these Tinguian knives:- they did not need to get the idea to use a choil from anywhere, they simply found that it was a natural development that made life easier.

Sometimes human beings act in similar ways simply because they are human beings.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote