Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2018, 05:59 AM   #1
Hotspur

There was this discussion elsewhere. The German explanation perhaps the best rationale. It is most likely not for Gill or Gunby. It came up again in anther thread there but is misplaced in my mind at the moment. That one as well pointed to the German connection and use of it. If I remember the context I'll try to dig it up.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...6963-What-up-G

Cheers
GC

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...fy-my-swords-1
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 04:54 AM   #2
Bryce

Thanks for posting these links GC.

Just to sum up what we have found so far.

1. All Osborn marked officer swords have a G or GG stamp and Osborn made his own swords in England.
2. Many, but not all Osborn and Gunby swords have a G or GG stamp.
3. No Gill swords have a G or GG stamp.
4. JJ Runkel swords do not have a G stamp and they were all imported from Solingen.
5. No other sword makers' swords of this period have this G stamp.

What this seems to rule out then are the following theories:

1. It is an import/export mark.
2. It is G for Gill.
3. It is a german manufacturing mark.

The only thing these G stamped swords have in common is that they were made by Osborn/Osborn and Gunby or if unmarked or marked to a retailer, likely to have been made by Osborn.

As Dmitry asked in the SFI thread if enough collectors could look at their swords for G stamps and post the results we can solve this one for good.

Cheers,

Bryce
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Hotspur

As posted, several Bolton swords have the mark and the G-GG have been verified as used in Germany.
Old 27th May 2018, 11:45 PM   #4
Bryce

Thanks GC,

It seems odd that Bolton who made so many swords for the American market didn't seem to make any for the British market?

Is it possible he sourced his blades from Osborn?

I don't have a copy of Mowbray. Does he shed any more light on this?

In regards to the German theory, what about these sword blades could be considered as "Legally Protected"? Henry Osborn together with John Gaspard Le Marchant is credited with designing the 1796 cavalry swords, but not the spadroons that also carry the G stamp.

Cheers,

Bryce
Old 28th May 2018, 02:58 AM   #5
Bryce

GC you may be interested in this G stamped Osborn that I own. These are the dealers pics as I have never gotten round to photographing it myself.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2018, 09:42 PM   #6
Bryce

G'day GC,

Looking thru those SFI threads you posted it seems that the book "The American Eagle Pommel Sword" by Mowbray may shed some real light on this subject. Apparently the book contains correspondence between the Upson Brothers who imported swords into America and one of their suppliers Osborn and Gunby? I don't have a copy of this book, so if anyone does, can you please post a synopsis of what it contains?

Cheers,

Bryce
Old 29th May 2018, 01:36 AM   #7
Bryce

I have tried to find a sword on the net marked to Richard Bolton with a G stamp, without success. Plenty of G stamped swords marked to Wells & Co, Richard Upson & Co etc who we know imported swords from Osborn. Can someone please help me out here and post a picture of a Bolton marked sword with a G stamp?

Cheers,

Bryce
Old 5th June 2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
GC you may be interested in this G stamped Osborn that I own. These are the dealers pics as I have never gotten round to photographing it myself.

Cheers,

Bryce

That is a fine sword and is more of interest to me as having a a deep bright etch than it having a G stamp. I will counter with with a Bolton eagle type with a bright etch and similar characteristics, which would more support furbishers sourcing the trade at large than being blademakers themselves (once again pointing to the G stamp as a trade mark not specific to Gunby, or Osborn). I will mention that this is not a sword I own, but rather part of my image archive. I have one section dedicated to mostly eagles and have uploaded it for public access.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...dP?usp=sharing

Cheers
GC
Attached Images

Old 6th June 2018, 04:02 AM   #9
Bryce

G'day GC,

I posted that sword because I thought you may have been able to tell me something about the motifs on the blade, not as part of the discussion on the G stamp. It is the only sword in my collection with American inspired blade decoration, as my interest is mainly in British swords.

Back to G stamps, I am not claiming that G stamps were associated with Gunby, but rather Henry Osborn. 100% of Osborn marked officer swords have a G stamp. If a G stamped blade is marked to someone other than Osborn, it can be shown that they are retailers rather than manufacturers of sword blades. Henry Osborn made his own blades, he didn't import them. Attached is an extract from the "The Literary Panorama Vol IV" dated September 1808, extolling the virtues of Osborn blades over imported German ones.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Osborn's sword proving machine.pdf (369.0 KB, 1789 views)