Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Rick,

In a way Ariel is right, but on the other hand – and I think all collectors should realise this – what we have, all of it is on loan. On loan for further generations.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I think some collecting really does verge on "OCD" and when these collections lack any distinguishing merit their future may well be in doubt or become a museum of curio, I am afiad I might see pencils that way even if some are quite old. As for the things we collect, so long as our societies remain and others attain wealth to enable collecting I am sure the interest is constant. Youngsters grow up and anything can become the catalyst. Just look at some of the lovely young ladies fresh from university that one sees presenting historical documentaries and the like on TV. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 12:36 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm having a pyramid built, and they'll all be buried with me !!!!

Jim-Ra

Seriously, I agree with Jens and I hope that any legacy I leave will be that I did something to help preserve the history of these weapons, and the researchers of the next generation will carry forward and love these weapons as I have.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 01:50 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I believe that as weapon collectors we have a somewhat different niche than the people who collect Avon bottles or match holders .

I would like to believe that the historical and , dare I say it, visceral attraction of these pieces will serve them well in retaining their value and collector interest over the forthcoming generations .

What I fear the most is the threat of the burgeoning legal sanctions against the posession of these items for future generations . A casual glance at some nations' weapons laws today speaks volumes for our future prospects .

After all a well preserved 18th century sword or dagger in the wrong hands will still be able to take a life in the 22nd century .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 02:27 AM   #5
not2sharp

I would recommend reading Werner Muensterberger's Collecting - An Unruly Passion (Princeton unv press, 1994). He looks at the collecting from a psychoanalytic perspective and cites the popularity of collecting well back to the edge of recorded history. He believe that collectors and collecting do so to satisfy some basic need. Like Linus with his security blanket, collectors tend to derive comfort from acquring objects and from the quest for the objects. It doesn't matter what the objects are, or whether they have any economic value. It is an escape to a comforting place; and something that develops in early childhood.

Given the long hour worked by parents these days, and the way youngsters are packed away in day care centers, we may well see a boom in collector interests. Whether any of that will attach itself to the items we collect is hard to say; however historical pieces are a custodial function, where fewer and fewer classic examples survive with every passing day. Demand will go up just as a factor of attrition. But, be not concerned, kids today may be into other things but they are still as excited as we were about acquiring them.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 05:24 AM   #6
rasdan

As for me, i think that the fact that one day my stuff are gonna be sold is unavoidable. So i just accept the fact and i have made a price list of the stuff and gave it to my wife just in case i kicked the bucket early. My wife said she wont sell it, but when it reaches the children, grandchildren, i hope they'll have some price guide (if it helps at that particular time). Money is not everything, but it is really important. On second thought, perhaps i should make a will and have the collections donated to the museum, just to ensure that it wont end up in ebay's no reserve auction of $0.99... Well.. i guess my collections are not that valuable after all..

Last edited by rasdan; 28th February 2006 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Valjhun

Default Intermezzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan
, just to ensure that it wont end up in ebay's no reserve auction of $0.99...
Rasdan,

A step out of the conversation, but, auctions with 0,99$ starting bids for a piece with value around 1000$ usually ends for a twice price compared to thoose auctions for virtually the same item with starting bid 500$, wich end out not sold.

Sorry for interruption, Gentlemen, Intersting debate, please, go on.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 01:24 AM   #8
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan
Well.. i guess my collections are not that valuable after all..
Sell them to me!!! Don't underestimate the value of your keris collection. You have some very nice pieces in your collection!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Lee
EAAF Staff

Talking Not much to worrry about, unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2sharp
... Werner Muensterberger's Collecting - An Unruly Passion (Princeton unv press, 1994). He looks at the collecting from a psychoanalytic perspective and cites the popularity of collecting well back to the edge of recorded history. He believe that collectors and collecting do so to satisfy some basic need ... collectors tend to derive comfort from acquring objects and from the quest for the objects.
I will have to try to find that book; I agree with the viewpoint you have summarized. Take a look at the effort people will go to for imaginary items in games like World of Warcraft and the compulsive efforts pursuring the numerous quests in that game.

I am presently savoring my way through Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle (1962) and some of his insights relevant to collecting and faking antiques.

I believe the thing for us to be concerned with is not a fading interest in what we collect, but the danger of legislative prohibitions upon these objects as weapons. The 2nd Amendment (thank you Founding Fathers) provides us some shielding in the USA, but some of our Australian comrade's collections may well be in peril.

... gtg ... WoW servers should now be back up...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 07:04 PM   #10
Valjhun

I never understood the fact, why would be owning an antique, not sharp katana submissed to prohibitions when you can buy a lot cheaper chainsaw in the next hardware store... Let's gonna left to the court experst to say wich can make more damage to fellow citizens.. nosense...
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 07:08 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

I just do not understand this moral panic about antique weapon collecting, the weapons available at any DIY store or garden center are many. Like religion the weapon is harmless it is the person behind it that is dangerous. Tim.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 05:28 AM   #12
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I'm having a pyramid built, and they'll all be buried with me !!!!

Jim-Ra

Seriously, I agree with Jens and I hope that any legacy I leave will be that I did something to help preserve the history of these weapons, and the researchers of the next generation will carry forward and love these weapons as I have.

You, too.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 05:27 AM   #13
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Rick,

In a way Ariel is right, but on the other hand – and I think all collectors should realise this – what we have, all of it is on loan. On loan for further generations.
I'm a generation removed from you, Jens. (In case you need a home for your collection one day. )
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote