Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th July 2015, 10:51 AM   #1
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
That's an interesting sword Tim,

I had one of those in my collection. The hilt is certainly based on the 1853 type, and I had a whole subsection of swords with various styles of hilt and blades which looked like they had been chopped together from various pattern designs!

Back to you're sword, I shall have to check my notes to see if a unit attribution was ever made for it. I can't remember if mine was marked or not.

Kind regards,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 11:07 AM   #2
mrcjgscott

Here is a comparison shot between an early 1796 pattern light cavalry troopers sword (produced 1798) and an Indian Cavalry sword with three bar hilt.

Note the similarity in blade shape. Some of these early 1796 patterns were used in India in there own right by East India Company units, as were old stocks of the 1788 LC sword.
I have also seen original 1796 blades rehilted with the three bar hilt for Indian use.

However, the design proved so popular that 1796 style blades were reproduced under various guises right up until at least the First World War.

Robert Wilkinson Latham and I have shared various correspondence and images over the years. I shall ask him if he will give me permission to share some images from Wilkinson circa 1914, showing these 1796 style blades being finished.

There also similar British made blades, known as "Paget" pattern, which are not as beefy as the 1796 style, but do feature on many Indian cavalry swords with distinctive broad curved cutting blades which remained popular in Indian service, long after the much straighter and only slightly curved cut & thrust type sword became prevalent in UK service.
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2015, 11:30 AM   #3
sirupate

Two very nice swords there Scott, that would be great if you can get permission from Robert, he was incredibly helpful to me on the Mk4 kukri, top chap.
PS There is quite a bit about the Indian Cavalry refusing to use the straighter English pattern and holding out for the 1796 LCS type blade in 'Swordsman of the British Empire'
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 02:18 PM   #4
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
Two very nice swords there Scott'
Thanks Simon. Given our recent discussions over various fora, I thought you might recall that my name is infact, Chris. I'll happily respond to Mr Scott or mrcjgscott also if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
PS There is quite a bit about the Indian Cavalry refusing to use the straighter English pattern and holding out for the 1796 LCS type blade in 'Swordsman of the British Empire'
That sounds relevant to our current discussion, perhaps you would transcribe it for us?
Old 29th July 2015, 04:09 PM   #5
sirupate

Sorry Chris, you can download a PDF version (which I have on one of my memory sticks), if that doesn't appeal I'll see if I can find it for you, all the best Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote