Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2015, 12:31 PM   #1
ariel

Mahratt,
The so-called karuds have massive handles, often almost cylindrical. The so-called chooras have slender grips with beak-like pommels. One glance at #624 shows what it is.
And of course both you and I can see the Choora from the South Kensington exhibition: it is the very # 624.

Of course, everybody is entitled to his private opinion. Some people even continue maintaining their opinions despite overwhelming facts to the contrary: Flat Earth Society is still active despite satellites daily circling around :-)

Tatiana,
When my Pakistani fellow comes back from vacation I will show it to him. Yours seems more readable than mine and very nicely preserved.
Thanks for the pictures.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 01:29 PM   #2
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Mahratt,
The so-called karuds have massive handles, often almost cylindrical. The so-called chooras have slender grips with beak-like pommels. One glance at #624 shows what it is.
And of course both you and I can see the Choora from the South Kensington exhibition: it is the very # 624.

Of course, everybody is entitled to his private opinion. Some people even continue maintaining their opinions despite overwhelming facts to the contrary: Flat Earth Society is still active despite satellites daily circling around :-)
Ariel, but in fact at the Afghan choora blade particular form. And on the knife under the number 624, the shape does not correspond to the classic Afghan chooraa. Are not you surprised? How can we then claim that it is the Afghan choora? I think that you will not say that the knife show us Kurt - typical afghan choora?

You have only seen a small image given in the book and on its basis to draw conclusions. I questioned you you've seen the knife at number 624 in the museum? I think the difference is clear ...

And I think astronomy is engaged in another forum
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 03:31 PM   #3
ariel

Mahratt,
Kurt showed us a dagger with a curved blade. You yourself said that the blade was in a manner of a Persian Pesh Kabz. Which I agree with.
#624 has a straight blade, like all Chooras. Thanks for enlarging the picture: it is very clear to anyone that it is a typical, classic, unequivocal, true etc, etc, - Choora.
How about "end of story" now? One can flog a dead horse only for so long:-)

Objects from S. Kensington exhibition went to V&A Museum, Tower and from there somewhere else. You can contact V&A or Leeds and inquire.
Old 8th June 2015, 04:17 PM   #4
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Mahratt,
Kurt showed us a dagger with a curved blade. You yourself said that the blade was in a manner of a Persian Pesh Kabz. Which I agree with.
#624 has a straight blade, like all Chooras. Thanks for enlarging the picture: it is very clear to anyone that it is a typical, classic, unequivocal, true etc, etc, - Choora.
How about "end of story" now? One can flog a dead horse only for so long:-)

Objects from S. Kensington exhibition went to V&A Museum, Tower and from there somewhere else. You can contact V&A or Leeds and inquire.
Ariel, do you not see that the blade of the knife under the number 624 is different from the blade of the classical Afghan choora ??? This is seen with the naked eye. I'm afraid you see what you want to see.

So that the "end of history" has a very long time

By the way, Ariel, is you're trying to bring a knife from the directory Egerton, as proof of his rightness, why do not you contact V & A or Leeds? )))
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 05:28 PM   #5
kronckew

can we at least agree that y'all disagree?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 05:32 PM   #6
ariel

Kronckew:

:-) :-)
Old 8th June 2015, 05:37 PM   #7
ariel

Removed: duplicate

Last edited by ariel; 8th June 2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 8th June 2015, 05:47 PM   #8
ariel

In the immortal words of Monty Python:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!He's f*ckin' snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

What I really admire in Mahratt, is his unwillingness to surrender despite overwhelming odds and incontrovertible facts.

Back to Monty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4