Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Oliver Pinchot

Yes, I see now. Type II it is, Ian.
I know that the record from the Higgins spelled it Malsbang, in a 1980s transcription of the original donors' (General Sage's grandsons) 1957 letter. Hardly a stretch to see where the S on the keyboard was struck in place of the A. Brigadier General Sage, at the time a captain, seems to have seen considerable action. He was actually stationed in the Philippines between 1898-1906, but I don't know if he was there for eight years consecutively. His grandsons donated several examples, including this kampilan, a datu's kris, and some barongs. Some were elaborately decorated, others were quite simple.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Spunjer

don't know if this is much of a help, Ian.
here's a picture of a Maranao datu, Datu Pagi. notice the kampilan on the the left
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 07:10 PM   #3
CharlesS

Spunjer,

Looks like that kampie is in a scabbard...or is it just my old eyes??? The blade's tip seems to be rounded like a scabbard tip, yet at the same time I am seeing a 'gleam' off it, so may just be the exposed blade. Seems to be some sort of bands there as well.

Your thoughts?
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Spunjer

enlarging the picture on my personal file, it appears to be one of those open face scabbards. i'll do some editing with the lighting later on to get a better pic
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Spunger:

Thanks for the photo. I enlarged it a bit and applied a central axis line over the blade. This kampilan appears to be a typical Type I although I cannot see the handle to determine if it has a "saddle."

The scabbard appears to be an edge guard that does not completely cover the blade, but just the sharpened edge and the tip. I have a similar guard for an old panabas that is tied on with strips of cloth. This one might be tied on with twine.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Oliver Pinchot

This example, with an interesting pommel type I haven't seen before, was posted by our own good forum moderator Rick, about 12 years ago. I am posting only two pics, but hope Rick will join the conversation and upload others. This seems to be a Type III, Ian. It certainly has a saddle. Also wondering whether anyone has ever nailed down where this form is from?
Attached Images

Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote