Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
mykeris

Default Unusual Malay Pusaka !!!

I got this unusual Pusaka Item from Perak, Malay Peninsular.Length 32 inches, circumference 6 inches (size of a moderate rough ivory) and weighs about 30 kilos. It looks very hinduism to me resembling either a long Tombak or should I say a Pillar. I wouldnt say its functional as a tombak due to its heavy weight, perhaps something else. Laminated metal (thousands of layers, I think) Does anybody know about this item? Thanks in advance for your views.
Attached Images

mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Could it be some sort of symbolic reference to a sacrificial post. Like that of the Khond "Meriah" sacrifice and other more symbolic sacrifice throughout Hindu culture. You read that some objects themselves can become venerable. Just thinking aloud. Tim
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
nechesh

Interesting item. I just want to make sure my conversions are correct. 66 pounds you say! You're right, can't see anyone weilding that around.
What makes you qualify this as pusaka? I know there have been many conflicting opinions on what qualifies something as pusaka. How did you acquire this? Did it's previous owner have no clue as to it's original purpose? I would assume (perhaps incorrectly ) that a pusaka which has passed hands across generations would come with some stories, especially to purpose when it is not as obvious as a keris blade.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 05:04 AM   #4
mykeris

Smile

Thanks Tim, I think you are right. It could be one of the possibilities. It does look about similar with the image you posted. TQ. To be more specific, this pusaka is a laminated item.Thickness equivalent to about 2.5 inches whereas Keris laminated blade is about 'a small portion' of an inch. I am sure, this item took real, really longer time to be accomplished. It must be something specially sacred.

To you Nechesh, I got this thru somebody, who really in need of money. Since you insist, I will tell you the ghost story . I was told, this item was brought from Palembang(Indonesia) to Malacca ( 14th Century ?) by the first Hindu Sultan of Malacca, Parameswara ,who later converted himself to Islam. It was supposed to be one of his most important final inauguration tools (??) . Nechesh, is nice listening to this story but do not get carried away .

Is it a Hindu Gandhar (Gadhar ..spelling??) of the Indonesian Pajajaran/Majapahit period?
Old 9th October 2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

There is a very informative book "History and Culture of Khond Tribes" by Nihar Ranjan Patnaik, ISBN 81-7169-199-4 ,Commonwealth Publishers, New Delhi. In this wonderful book there is a whole chapter on the use of these posts and human sacrifice which was not fully suppressed by the British untill the latter half of the 19th century. This book is very easy to read and is a must have reference. The book is printed in India and is not made like a lavish western ART book, there are some picture in the back of the book but apart from the drawings rather poor. Some of you have Khond axes, you need!!! this book. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 05:42 PM   #6
nechesh

Don't get me wrong mykeris, while i don't necessarily buy the ghost stories i still do love to hear them.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 03:00 AM   #7
mykeris

Nechesh, I love to hear them too, thats why I took this pusaka home especially the myth that surrounds i t....but turn to international opinion for more logical authentication. Tim has his it differently. More scary, when he relates it to Meriah Sacrifice.....A yo yo, very scary.