Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
The blade, I'm not smart with that one At the first sight it is quite interesting, but looking at how the ricikan (details) were done
Hello Chandra,
Do you think that this blade is Javanese? I would call the pamor Kul Buntet Tambal?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Greybeard

A very nice and interesting keris. However, I'm somewhat puzzled about the strange looking pitting along the blade -- vice marks? I don't hope so ...
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
A very nice and interesting keris. However, I'm somewhat puzzled about the strange looking pitting along the blade -- vice marks? I don't hope so ...
Hi Greybeard,
Glad you like it.
Not vice marks, just old corrosion by the looks of it.

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
tunggulametung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Chandra,
Do you think that this blade is Javanese? I would call the pamor Kul Buntet Tambal?
Regards
Hello Jean, yes I think so, but I'm not well trained to differentiate which part of Java; my wild guess is Jogja (I don't know how it differ from Mataram ) just because I remember that it should look rather slender and pointy-please correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't know if the pamor appearance is valid for the region. I'm trying to speak about style and not origin-and not that tangguh thing to which the more I learn the more I don't care. Why do you ask that? Do you think otherwise (not a Javanese blade)?

Normally I only care about simple pamor (like wos wutah or ngulit semangka), but since you already start it, I would call this lintang kemukus tambal, kul buntet (snail) lintang kemukus (comet) tambal (to patch)-maybe not, or simply dwi warna (two colors/pamor), tri warna (three colors) etc. Also not well trained in the subject so I'm sorry if I name the wrong pamor .

I look at the blade again, I think the sorsoran is rather awkward, some major details are: the upper part of the ganja (guard/cross section) where it meets the blade is rather not well defined (rather concave?, should be undulated and giving a perpendicular feels with the bottom), the greneng, decorations on the back appear to be worn out naturally, but the front details at the elephant trunk area appear to be not, maybe that makes me to think before that the details are somehow less elegant. (I'm sorry Gene if you read this post but you know this is just opinion and I could be wrong of course )

I hope now I look smart with my lengthy post
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
Hello Jean, yes I think so, but I'm not well trained to differentiate which part of Java; my wild guess is Jogja (I don't know how it differ from Mataram ) just because I remember that it should look rather slender and pointy-please correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't know if the pamor appearance is valid for the region. I'm trying to speak about style and not origin-and not that tangguh thing to which the more I learn the more I don't care. Why do you ask that? Do you think otherwise (not a Javanese blade)?

Normally I only care about simple pamor (like wos wutah or ngulit semangka), but since you already start it, I would call this lintang kemukus tambal, kul buntet (snail) lintang kemukus (comet) tambal (to patch)-maybe not, or simply dwi warna (two colors/pamor), tri warna (three colors) etc. Also not well trained in the subject so I'm sorry if I name the wrong pamor .
Hello Chandra,
Yeah, this blade has some peculiar features such as the sirah cecak, pejetan, lambe gajah, and greneng so I have some doubts that it originates from Central Java but a regional javanese origin is possible. I share what you say about the tangguh matter, thanks to Alan for having opened our eyes!
I agree with your alternative pamor classifications.
Best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote