Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

I was watching this one. Congratulations. Nice piece and although I have seen this type of weaving before on a barong, usually it is in brass and not silver. Extensive silver.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Wow, Amazing Thread, Amazing Pieces, Guys! Thanks for sharing!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
kino

I found this ~3 weeks ago. Just had the opportunity to photograph it.
Blade length is 19.5"
The Barung with the lighter background belongs to a friend. Apologies for the poor image. I took a photo of a paper photograph.

Unlike Battara, all I've seen with wire wraps in this fashion were silver.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Sajen

Just bought this WWII area barong because something appealed my eyes by this one.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 02:18 AM   #5
LakanPating

My Samal barung...
Attached Images

LakanPating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Timo Nieminen

Here are my barong beyond the 2 in http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15389.

#3 is 565g, about 6mm thick near the hilt. Cuts very nicely. The grip is wrapped in cord (hemp?), going over part of the metal fittings. What sins might it hide?

#4 is 610g, about 6.5mm thick near the hilt. Blade has broad fuller (or should I call it hollow-forged?). Seems like a very heavy hilt. Just cleaned this yesterday; it was a little dirty when I got it (very recently).

The scabbard is in poor shape, with lots of splits in the wood along the grain, and the two halves mostly separate. But nothing missing, so just the kind of thing that would be "traditionally" fixed by wrapping with black electrical tape. A less Western solution would be rattan or hemp cord. Would need to lacquer (or some suitable glue). Is there any traditional of fabric wrapping?

Is #5 a barong? The blade has an asymmetric profile - the left side is flat, and the right side is convex. The blade is thin; just over 5mm at the hilt, but within a few centimetres, it thins to about 4.5mm.
Attached Images

Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 08:13 AM   #7
kai

Congrats, Timo - interesting acquisitions!

I'd posit that all warrant etching and close-ups posted in seperate, dedicated threads.

Quote:
#3 is 565g, about 6mm thick near the hilt. Cuts very nicely. The grip is wrapped in cord (hemp?), going over part of the metal fittings. What sins might it hide?
Is that cord or fabric? Cord wrappings over the silver sleeve a very common to enhance the grip. Looks like a good, antique warrior piece to me and close-ups may tell wether any work needs to be done.

Quote:
#4 is 610g, about 6.5mm thick near the hilt. Blade has broad fuller (or should I call it hollow-forged?). Seems like a very heavy hilt. Just cleaned this yesterday; it was a little dirty when I got it (very recently).
That's a shandigan blade (the wear may indicate quite a bit of age). Neat scabbard and hilt - I like it!

Quote:
The scabbard is in poor shape, with lots of splits in the wood along the grain, and the two halves mostly separate. But nothing missing, so just the kind of thing that would be "traditionally" fixed by wrapping with black electrical tape. A less Western solution would be rattan or hemp cord. Would need to lacquer (or some suitable glue). Is there any traditional of fabric wrapping?
Rattan would be the way to go if really needed. Any wooden pins remaining or traces of these? A careful restoration should help to preserve this scabbard.

Quote:
Is #5 a barong? The blade has an asymmetric profile - the left side is flat, and the right side is convex. The blade is thin; just over 5mm at the hilt, but within a few centimetres, it thins to about 4.5mm.
No. Visayan and looks pretty recent (post WW2).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote