Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
paolo

I have only two. The first is Sulu, the second one was brought at the battle of Bud Dajo.
Paolo
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
ariel

I always thought that handles with the carved box-like "beak" of the kakatua pommel appeared in the 1930s. At least, that's what I read here from the Moro gurus. If so, the inscription dated 1907 might be a little suspect. Am I totally wrong?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Spunjer

jose, always loved your ivory pieces! rare indeed, that fossilized handle you have! when i grow up, i'd love to own one like that!!!
@paolo two excellent pieces you have! the silver covered handle is incredible!
@ariel, regarding the appendage: that's what cato proposed, among other things, but more and more, there are plenty that have the same appendages with strong provenance dating back at the turn of the century.
added couple pictures. the barung below was brought back around 1900-1901 by Webb Hayes (the tip broke off, but you could still see it). on the second pic, please note the two gentlemen at the back, second and third from the right (or is it left, lol). second seated from the left is Datu Unga, Tausug warrior extraordinaire. hard to see, but i can assure you his barung has the same appendage. picure was taken early 1900's.
what concerns me more about paolo's other barung is the date given. 1st battle of Bud Dajo was March 5-8, 1906, while the second one was in 1911. on the first battle, i could see someone getting confused with the days, but how can anyone forget the year?
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 22nd January 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
VVV

Here are my favorites.

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Spunjer

Yowza! on the first one, have you ever thought about re-seating the blade? love the simple, yet elegant lines on that bottom piece! i've never seen that big, chunky ivory handled one! thanks for sharing
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello,

by all this beautiful examples I am almost a little bit shamed to show my two simple barung. The smaller one with not original sheat (is it matching?). Both are Samal in my humble opinion.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

OK, you guys are all giving me Barung envy. It's the one type of blade that i truly want, but have yet to find the right example for me. Some real unusual examples here. Just beautiful....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Spunjer

sajen, nothing wrong with your examples! thanks for posting them. i wish everyone would post their barungs, even the WW2 ones, not just the blingy ones!!!