Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Rick,

There was not a pin but a screw thread soldered to the underside of the belt hook or made out of an iron pin rivited there. Of the two holes in the horn, I guess the upper was the original one. Just take out the top mount transverse screw and take off the belt hook and you should find the remains of the thread.
At the same time please screw off the side cord rings, take off the top mount and look inside whether the horizontally moving cut-off plate is still riveted there. You should also find greenspan from the copper soldering processs.
Was there ever powder in your flask?

Please take good images of the inside and show us! The outcome would be highly interesting.

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 11th September 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 01:40 AM   #2
rickystl

Hi Michael. Will do. I'll take it apart this week and report back. Yes, it should be very interesting. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Michael. Will do. I'll take it apart this week and report back. Yes, it should be very interesting. Rick.
I just LOST the text to my message. I'll report back later. Meantime, here are some pics. Rick.
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Rick,

The outcome rexactly responded to what I expected, even the horizontally acting oblong cut-off plate is still there - great original condition for 1570!

The black lacquer on the iron parts is hundreds of years old arsenal care; I would plead to preserve it all exactly the way it came down to you.

What I cannot see: Just put your finger into the flask to check whether there are remains of powder on the inner sides!

And: could you identify the remainder of the broken-off threaded pin on the inner side of the belt hook?

Best,
and congrats again,
Michael
Old 7th October 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Michael!! Glad you were able to see the photos of the flask dis-assembled. Some how when I posted this last set of photos I accidently deleted my text. Have no idea how I did it?
The flask has been re-assembled now. I even ran a pipe cleaner through it but could not find any powder. Darn However, there was a slight staining inside that did show evidence that powder was once there.
The tiny threaded piece that helped to secure the belt hook: There are actually two threaded pieces, one directly on top of the other, corresponding exactly with the two holes on the outside. A camera could not pick this up.
Both of the broken threaded pieces are old. Under magnafication I could just barely make out where the first pin was ground off (a long time ago) on the belt hook itself and another threaded piece was added (a long time ago) and subsequently broke again.
But, all the pieces are there and working!! It's great that both the measuring and shut off springs are not broke.
Earlier in my Post I mentioned that I was thinking of repairing the tiny pin - yet a third time in it's history. But, this would require drilling out one of the old threaded pieces and "soldering" a new piece on. That would be altering the piece to far. Therefore, I will keep it in it's current condition on display in my collection. Rick.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Rick,
Well done!

I attach a similar but somewhat earlier staghorn flask sold at auction by Stockholm's Auktionsverket im May this year. It is a bit variant in the style of both mounts and engraving and clearly represents the Far Northern taste. THe soldier depicted is engraved all'antica, in the antique Greek or Roman manner with his malchus sword and shield.
On the basis of the spout lid the spring of which is hammered out of the same piece of iron as the lid and just bent back, instead of made separately and then riveted to the grip, as in most of these flasks, I would date it to the 1540's.

Rick, when you authored this thread nobody could imagine what is was to be about. Would you consent if I asked Fernando to change its present title to '16th Century German Staghorn Powderflasks'? I would add more stuff then.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 7th October 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi 'Nando,

Thanks for fulfilling my request so fast!

Best,
Michael