Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Hindu Artefact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In trying to look further into this carved panel, possibly a devotional item which might have been placed in a home or personal area of an individual of the Hindu Faith, it does seem to me that these figures may represent aspects related to Hanuman, and of that Hindu Deity. From my limited and lay understanding of the complexities of this religion, all I can add is that in the Indian epic Ramayana, Hanuman was a devotee of Rama and a general in the forces of the Vanaras, described as an ape like race of forest dwellers.

With the obviously widespread Hindu Faith, it would be hard to determine exactly where in SE Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the many archipelagos with Hindu following, that this panel might come from. It would likely take considerable research in material focused on Indian and Hindu art, as well as considering the type of wood and the use of these various gemstones in symbolism to even guess.

An interesting exercise here regardless, and reminding us that clues associated with decorative motif and designs on ethnographic weapons are closely aligned with many aspects of the cultures they are from.
Salaams... The wood is either Shishum(raw rosewood) or teak(stained dark) whilst the gemstones are simple Turquoise, Agate and Greenstone and the plaques seem to be brass or bronze..Interesting.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote