Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Iain

I would be very interested to see the sword from your colleague. I am also curious about how the original handles on these swords should look. Mine has small pieces of cloth still on the pommel and under the guard. I wonder if the style would have been cloth wrapping then leather braided - perhaps even in a Tebu style, which is also seen on some takouba from this area.

Best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

So - the sword is similar to Timīs sword from the "round shields thread", but Timīs sword is complete old original Tebbu (see perfectly elaborated braid on the handle). This sword has new handle (in Tebbu and surrounding tribes style, also commonly used in Mandara region) and new scabbard (nowadays I would say in "common Sahel style"). nevertheless what is really interesting is the blade. We cleaned it a little. The blade is old, very thick and heavy, (I am sure much heavier than Timīs one and from this reason unsuitable as "arm" short sword). But it has no crossguard. Blade is 55 cms long, all sword has 71 cms.
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

That blade looks ridged and heavy. The blade I have is flexable like any other light sabre. I have a short sword of similar form I got from Luc who always has nice clean stuff. The blade form is clearly the same. Not as long or heavy as yours, blade 45cm long with no flex. Just love the bovine horn guard. What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 22nd April 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

While on the subject of Chamba I would like to clear something up. I have always known these two items were West African and now I can show clear link in form and function. Scroll down and click on "Mumye Iron Collar"-

http://www.coincoin.com/seXX2.htm#IRON

I have added the picture anyway.
Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Tim,

I saw this swords with bovine horn guard in Maroua and Rhumsiki in the Extreme North Cameroon.
The similar torques I have are allegedly from Lake Chad region and they were used as ceremonial means of payment, when the groom wanted to "buy" daughter of chieftain: He gave cattle to the cheeftainīs marshal and received the necklaces. then he brought the necklaces to the cheeftain and received the bride (cheeftainīs daughter). Cheeftain returned the necklaces back to marshal..... Nobody confirmed me this, just the selling person said (maybe fairy tale...)
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Old 23rd April 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

Thanks Martin, I googled images for Maroua and Rhumsiki, fabulous so beautiful. My bag is packed just waiting for the money one day.
Old 24th April 2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Tim, I am happy destiny lead me to Rhumsiki. I am sending you one photo from the trip in 2008. I was invited to the hut in the village and the iron shield with throwing knife were under the roof above the fireplace (black from ash). The old man on the photo refused to sell them, but he allowed me to take a photo. Unfortunately, it is too much black (I am probably not good photographer)
regards,
Martin
Attached Images