Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th June 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
ariel

Default Singhalese kastane.. Or... is it?

Vandoo got this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
He owes us an explanation
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

But it did not meet reserve .........
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:56 PM   #3
ariel

Yup,you are right.... I have to count my brain cells again...
Still, who wants to go first?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:59 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

YEP GAVE IT MY BEST SHOT WHICH WAS MORE THAN SHOWN AS I STILL DIDN'T MEET RESERVE. I SUSPECT IT IS FROM CEYLON/ SIRI LANKA WITH DUTCH INFLUENCE BUT JUDGEING FROM THE BLADE NOT DUTCH MADE. IF THE HANDLE IS JADE IT IS A RATHER STRANGE LOOKING TYPE I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF JADE WAS AVAILABLE OR USED IN CEYLON

AT ANY RATE I LIKED IT AND IF IT WAS PUT TOGETHER FROM DIFERENT PARTS IT WAS WELL ENOUGH DONE AND NOT A RECENT CONSTRUCTION. I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING QUITE LIKE IT UP TILL NOW AND WOULD HAVE BEEN THRILLED TO HAVE LANDED IT FOR THE PRICE SHOWN ON EBAY. BUT ALAS IT WAS NOT TO BE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 01:31 AM   #5
not2sharp

It looks like a composite piece. Perhaps all the more interesting since it crosses cultural lines.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 02:14 AM   #6
Andrew

Come on, Ariel. Tell them...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This interesting piece, although it has certain loose similiarity to the kastane, or some interpretation of it, appears to me a European hunting hanger. The odd greenish grip may be stained horn. It seems that greened coloration was something that was popular on various hangers and weapons of the gentry during the 18th century, but need to search more for verification of that.

In "Swords, Daggers and Cutlasses" (G. Weland, 1991, p.45) the author illustrates a German hunting sabre dated 1658, with virtually the same type guard wuth upswept knuckleguard, and short downturned quillon. The hilt grip shape is also similar, flaring out more at the pommel, and typical of both English and Continental hangers of the period. The author becomes even more specific, noting that this hilt form is of the 'old Franconian style'. While it is unclear exactly how that term is intended, the region known as Franconia was a medieval duchy in Germany situated in the valley of the Main River.
I found another example of one of these hunting swords, same hilt quillon arrangement in "Hunting Weapons" (Howard Blackmore, 1971, fig. 12) shown as German, dated 1654.
The zoomorphic guard seems to represent probably griffins. The rather crude floral motif on the blade seems unusually rough, and the linear curved or semi circle motif seems possibly a stylized perception of the familiar Genoese/Styrian sickle marks.
Curious about the drilled hole near the base of the blade, and what that might be for.
Most interesting piece and though reminiscent of these 17th century examples, is more likely 18th century . More research in other resources may reveal other similar hilts with these smooth and simple grips. I really have never seen any of these using jade, but of course they may be out there!!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote