Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 24th October 2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default An 18th Century Flintlock Gun Mounted With a Fine ca. 1530 Italian Arqebus Barrel

I almost overlooked this, it is displayed at the bottom of this showcase.

Of this item, too, photos and additional information would be very, very welcome!
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default A Very Unusual 9 Barrel Volley Hunting Rifle (!), East German, Zerbst?, ca. 1670-80

There are quite some similar specimens of this type of Hunting Volley Rifles known, most of them still mounted on their original painted two wheel carriages.

The one from the Krakau National Museum that Michal kindly posted here (first image below) is one of the very few fired by means of a wheel lock mechanism while most surviving samples, their number of rifled barrels ranging from 7-9, use the more advanced but still contemporary flintlock.

The bunch of barrels of some of the flintlock specimen are signed by their maker, Valtin (sic! for Valentin) Muth à Zerbst, East Germany. One signed seven barrel example, the back sight missing, was sold from the Franconian armory of the Counts Schenk von Stauffenberg, Sotheby's, July 10, 2002 (see scans below).

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 24th October 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 24th October 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
wolviex

Thank you Matchlock for your input!

To be honest it's too many questions to answer them at once! Well, I'm rather edged weapons guy, so I need to look at some papers at work to answer you, so please be patiente, I'll get back to you on Monday (hopefully).

Though - it would be much easier if you could pack yourself and buy a ticket for a few days to Krakow/Krakau to see it on your own eyes and to talk with guns curator in person . Judging from your posts you could have a great time here in the museum.

And just to make you satisfy for the weekend few more pictures of one of the pistols you liked so much
Attached Images

wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Dear Michal,

Thanks a whole lot for your prompt reply and the additional images!

I have indeed pondered over going to the museums in Poland, Czechia and Russia but my spine is really too bad at the moment.

So I think I would greatly benefit from a little help from you when your time allows you to. Just in case you care to see what interests me most about early firearms, please go to

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/search.php?searchid=29633

and judge for yourself.

Have a nice weekend.

Best wishes,
Michael
Old 25th October 2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Hello Michal,

It is very impressive what you and you staff has done, and I send all my best wishes for you and your department.

Although I collect Indian weapons I do appreciate the weapons you show, they are fantastic masterpieces.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 06:28 PM   #6
wolviex

Dear Matchlock.
I checked few things and what can I say that you are very accurate in your judgement of guns!
Anyway you have PM. I couldn't check everything but it will be a good start I believe, and I didn't post it here to not make a huge discussion about guns in this topic dedicated to exhibition, though other post can be created if you wish

and Jens! Thank you for your kind words and email!

Best regards!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Zwielicht

The pistol from post #19 is amazing... what years it can be dated as (as for me, at first glance I would suppose middle or second half of 16th century)? And what are it's dimensions (especially length and weight )?

UPD. Sorry, I saw the dating. But the question about the dimensions is still actual.
Zwielicht is offline   Reply With Quote