Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 20th August 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

THERE IS A CD ON EBAY WITH THIS MATERIAL PLUS SOME MORE SEE THE SWAP FORUM IF INTERESTED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
fearn

I was able to download it as a pdf. Thanks Lee!
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
pallas

i remember reading about skeletons encased in copper armor found in burial mounds in ohio and a few other places in the eastern US in the 19th century......nothing specific about the armor was ever said.....not sure what became of that stuff..........its also worth mentioning that the skeletons where described as "giant" 7-8 ft tall.......it appears that a great many of these "giant" skeletons with and without armor were dug up over the course of the 19th century in the eastern and central US..........yet there dosent appear to be any examples of this armor or of the skeletons themselves in the museums (field, smithsonian, ect)
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 01:27 AM   #4
aiontay

Yes, those giant skeletons were Welsh basketball players that came over with Prince Madoc before they all ended up in the Dakotas....or Atlantean Yuchis.

If you scroll through to the "Warfare" section in this report, you'll find a description of Cree armor: htp://books.google.com/books?id=te4SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=notes +on+the+Cree#
aiontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
pallas

i wouldent count out the presence of other cultures in the new world before columbus, but thats a barrel of fish for another day..........

the caqiue tuscaloosa who accompanied desoto on part of his journey through alabama was said to be a "giant" and there was another cheif who wouldent meet with desoto and had to be tracked down and forced back to camp who was also described as such...
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 01:27 AM   #6
aiontay

I certainly don't discount pre-Columbian contact at all; I fact, I'm throughly convinced it happened, I just doubt that it was that significant, and I was just poking fun at some of the 19th and 21st theories regarding the mound builders. Of more interest to me, and probably of much more significance were the pre-Columbian contacts between the Mound Builders and Central America.

I don't doubt that the miko of Tushka Lusa (there's a good Chickasaw/Choctaw name for you!) was a giant, or at least an exceptional large individual. Large size may not have been accidental either. As an Osage friend once told me when we were discussing the "Big" Osages and the "Little" Osages, the difference in sizes was intentional. That was part of the function of the clan system, which governed marriage. As he put it, they were bred that way.
Old 29th August 2009, 05:29 PM   #7
celtan

I'm not sure about the name, but If IIRC phillologist Barry Fell from Buffalo U., wrote an interesting book unambiguously stating that Celt-Iberian mariners left many inscriptions around water bodies in the current US of A.

One of them, IIRC, reportedly translated into: "[We] Mariners of Qadir (today's Cadiz) have reached here"...

That goes well in hand with the Quetzacoatl legends.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas
i wouldent count out the presence of other cultures in the new world before columbus, but thats a barrel of fish for another day..........

the caqiue tuscaloosa who accompanied desoto on part of his journey through alabama was said to be a "giant" and there was another cheif who wouldent meet with desoto and had to be tracked down and forced back to camp who was also described as such...
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 09:40 PM   #8
aiontay

I read Fell's book America BC years ago. The problem is, he posits not just Celts, but a whole mess of different folks roaming around the US. He wrote another book which claims Scandinavians visited the copper mining regions in the NE USA and Canada and left inscriptions in North African scripts. So how exactly did folks from Sweden learn Berber scripts in the Bronze Age? Plus, all the inscriptions Fell dechiphers in all his books are so terse as to almost be nonsensical. Like I said, I don't doubt there were pre-Columbian crossing of both the Atlantic and the Pacific for that matter. Based on Caesar's descriptions, Celtic tribes in Gaul had the technological abiltiy to get a ship across the Atlantic.

Again though, the question is how significant was the contact? If you believe Fell, there were Celtic horse ranches out on the Plains of Oklahoma in the early Iron Age. Given the speed with which the Plains tribes adopted horses at a later date, why didn't they acquire them in the BC when it would have been just as advantageous?