Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th July 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

With a mat to keep the cloth from being 'pinched' .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Reichsritter

With the arrival of the Americans in Sulu the star became a fancy symbol. The 5 stars represents the sultanate's dominions; Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Basilan, North Borneo and southern Palawan. This flag seems a different variation to me as it appears without the Barung, for the Shakirullah family. A Datu once told me that weapons on the flag symbolizes branches of the royal family. Kalis for Kiram and Budjak (spear) for the Maharaja Adinda family. The object below can be the gate of Mecca as what the former flags states.
Reichsritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichsritter
With the arrival of the Americans in Sulu the star became a fancy symbol. The 5 stars represents the sultanate's dominions; Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Basilan, North Borneo and southern Palawan. This flag seems a different variation to me as it appears without the Barung, for the Shakirullah family. A Datu once told me that weapons on the flag symbolizes branches of the royal family. Kalis for Kiram and Budjak (spear) for the Maharaja Adinda family. The object below can be the gate of Mecca as what the former flags states.
Reichsritter, very interesting! Thanks for the info.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Dimasalang

Quote:
The object below can be the gate of Mecca as what the former flags states.
Of my limited knowledge here, I know on some flags and banners, the "II" symbol represents the two gates of Mecca. But this is just one "I" and it is on its side?
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Reichsritter - I also thank you for the information. Very helpful. I have seen several of these without the barung, and some with the barung.

Check out these examples:

http://www.webalice.it/paopadd/MORO_...FLAGS_-_2.html
http://www.webalice.it/paopadd/MORO_...FLAGS_-_3.html
http://www.webalice.it/paopadd/MORO_...FLAGS_-_4.html

Dimasalang - good point about the gates of Mecca.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Reichsritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Of my limited knowledge here, I know on some flags and banners, the "II" symbol represents the two gates of Mecca. But this is just one "I" and it is on its side?
Dimasalang, I think the "II" symbol is not the Roman numerals for 2 but the Minaret on the gates. The first Sultan of Sulu to perform the pilgrimage was Badaruddin II (1881-1886). On his account he would described what the gates looks like.

Battara, I don't know what year this flag was but during the American occupation of Sulu there was a point that the Shakirullah branch was a rival claimant to the throne.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Dimasalang

Quote:
Dimasalang, I think the "II" symbol is not the Roman numerals for 2 but the Minaret on the gates. The first Sultan of Sulu to perform the pilgrimage was Badaruddin II (1881-1886). On his account he would described what the gates looks like.
Sorry, what I meant by "II" was in reference to the symbol seen in this photo...not Roman numerals. Thought you would understand what I meant by just typing "II".

Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Reichsritter

[QUOTE=Dimasalang]Sorry, what I meant by "II" was in reference to the symbol seen in this photo...not Roman numerals. Thought you would understand what I meant by just typing "II".

Thanks, I see now what you mean. what I also mean is the old gate less the minaret on both side. The silhouette of the main Mecca Masjid gate just looks like it. Anyway, just a probable explanation. Actually very little info available on what these objects on different flags really are (except for the minarets on the gate). By the way , the owner of the website is a friend of mine. Paolo would be very glad to share any new info he might have regarding the flags. I met him here in Manila 3 years ago.
Old 4th August 2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Paolo is a great guy - I already sent larger pictures of this flag to him.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote