Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st November 2021, 08:09 PM   #1
TVV

To be fair, this is a very nice kaskara, with a silver gilt pommel and a very high quality crossguard that also looks like it has been gilded. The blade looks like a 19th century European import and the brass (?) dot inserts are unusual. It is definitely a sword that belonged to someone of high status and could have been one of the many swords Ali Dinar owned.
To get to a high price at auction you need to have at least 2 people bidding on a sword, so more than 1 person must have put a lot of value on this particular kaskara.
TVV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:44 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This sword has a remarkable resemblance to one in the late Tony North's book on Islamic arms (the monograph) and was attributed to Ali Dinar. When I asked him about it (this was some years ago) as I was doing research on another kaskara attributed to Ali Dinar, he indicated the photo in a grouping of four swords from Sudan, and this particular sword now belonged to a guy in Malaysia as he thought.
This was about 16 or 17 years ago. Possibly the sword has now come out of an associated estate. If anyone has that book the photo of four swords is in it (I dont have my copy at the moment).

As noted by Teodor, Ali Dinar had numbers of swords in his armory, so quite possible this is one considering its notable quality, inscription and gilt decoration.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:22 AM   #3
Edster

There are at least 3 other attributed Ali Dinar kaskaras previously auctioned for tens of thousands GBP. At least one is reported by the British Museum. Google search on "Ali Dinar swords auctions UK".

Apparently, most of Dinar's swords were looted from his residence compound when the British military drove him out of El Fasher in 1916. Had they been official Spoils of War (wink wink) there should have been an inventory. It would be interesting to attempt a Chain of Custody of his known swords and try to get as good and inventory as possible.

I believe an argument could be made that the swords were/are works of art as opposed to being actual weapons and the patrimony of his family or at least the state of Darfur. Could be like the Benin bronzes recently returned to their original home.

Just saying,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 2nd November 2021 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added auctions UK
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote