Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th December 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Miguel

Hi Jens, Thank you for the information. I agree that the weapon on the carving looks more like the Khukri than the Ayda Katti but to me there is some resemblance between the two, anyway I take your point and will carry on with my research.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the reply and hope you can discover more about the stamp.
Kind regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Miguel,
I dont know if you have Elgood's book Hindu Arms and Ritual, but on page 234 under Ayudha katti he writes. " Used all over Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka where they continue to have an agricultural use."
It is the first time I have seen this, and unfortunately Elgood doesn't write when that was.
The mentioning of Sri Lanka is interresting, as the dwarf with the 'kukri' is from the east coast of India and 7th century - and this leads me to recommend the following book.
Majumdar, R. C.:
Suvarnadvipa – Hindu Colonies of the Far East. Vol. I-II. 1937. Cosmo Publications, reprint 2004.
It is the story about how the Indian Hindu princes colonised the countries to the east of India between the 8th and 11th century.

I wish you good luck with your reseach
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 04:10 PM   #3
blue lander

The auction for this one recently ended, nobody bid on it. It was described as a "Ayda Katti" from the Malabar Coast. I *think* the blade is downward curving? It's hard to tell which edge is sharpened. From the orientation of the hilt I'd imagine it'd be hard to wield if it was upward curving.
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

blue lander,
I wonder why no one bought it?
The edge is on the straight underside. This is a Hindu adya katti, but the Muhamedans also had a weapon like it called moplah knife.
According to Stone, Egerton called the Muhamedan knife for an adya katti, so that may be why there is some confusion about the names.
Old 14th December 2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Miguel

I also wonder why no one bid for it as it seems in quite good condition. You are right about the names, the weapon of the Malabar coast is called a Moplah and the war sword of the Coorgs is the Ayda Katti. I read something the other week on what the name Ayda Katti meant but I don't remember what it said but I will try and find the article again and let you know.
Thank you again Jens for taking the time out to share with me some of your knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Miguel
Old 14th December 2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Miguel,
It is sometimes referred to as War Knife.
Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 14th December 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 16th December 2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Miguel,
It is sometimes referred to as War Knife.
Jens
Hi Jens/

I was mistaken when I said that I had read something about the meaning of Ayda Katti, it was the anglicised name for the Kavada people , i.e. Coorg, I was getting mixed up with so apologies for that. I seem to have become hooked on the Kavada people at the moment and am looking into their early origins as these may possibly throw a bit more light on the weapon in the sculpture.

I almost forgot, I understood the Pichangetti to be the knife and the Ayda Katti the sword?
Kind regards
Miguel
Old 16th December 2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Migiel,

Yes the Pichangetti is a Coorg utility knife, and can be found if many varities.

I find your interest in the early Coorgs is very/most interesting, and I do hope that you will go on with your research, as very much rsearch still need to be done.

All the best

Jens