Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th November 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Once again, the bolster construction screams "Nepalese khukri" in my eyes.
Emanuel
Ive seen similar bolster construction on knives & & kukri from India [NWF} & Afghanistan, but never Nepal.

But the fine tooling is another dimension!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:56 PM   #2
David R

The whole Kopis-machiera-yataghan question is one that has had me thinking for some time. Below are some of my collected pics from a variety of sources, alas I neglected to nail the references to them at the time. The first set were described as a Byzantine short sword I attach the label with the pics. I found them at an online museum called the "World Museum of Man" I will post the others if I can pin down their provenance
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Ive seen similar bolster construction on knives & & kukri from India [NWF} & Afghanistan, but never Nepal.

But the fine tooling is another dimension!

Spiral
Yes Spiral, I think the examples I have in mind were actually North Indian.

It also looks like the bolster assembly on the Suleiman yataghan consists of two different pieces fixed on either side of the blade, not one piece brazed over.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Emanuel

Hello,

Here is another yataghana ttributed to Suleiman II, the Magnificent, held at the Tokapi.

Emanuel
Attached Images

Last edited by Emanuel; 8th July 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 9th July 2014, 06:42 PM   #5
josh stout

The dragon and phoenix motif with stylized clouds is absolutely of Chinese origin. Very similar examples can be found in Persian carpets, and are usually attributed to the Mongols' habit of moving entire villages of artisans combined with trade along the Silk Road.

Given the places being discussed, Greece, North India, the Balkans, and Turkey, the Silk Road seems a possible method of cross pollination, but the Mongols seem a more significant source.

It is interesting to think of the great flows of ideas leading to these knives. Alexander headed East and the Mongols headed West along much of the same territory.
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Sancar

"The dragon and phoenix motif with stylized clouds" actaually is a motif that can be found heavily in Ottoman art. It is a common motif especially in "Saz Üslubu" school of Ottoman art that was very popular in Kanuni Suleiman I's era, popularized by Ottoman painter "Şahkulu" in that time. This blade's decoration is a very famous and typical example of "Saz Üslubu".

These two yataghans of Kanuni Suleiman I are made by Ahmet Tekeli, the court jeweler.

Last edited by Sancar; 10th July 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Sancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 12:07 PM   #7
ariel

Sancar,
What evidence do we have that this ( and, potentilly, other) yataghan were made specifically by Ahmet Tekelu, the enigmatic master? Any signatures on the yataghans? Any mention of this particular master in the roster of court armourers/ jewelers? Any contemporary records mentioning him as the manufacturer?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Emanuel

Hello,

There is the blade manufacturer, and the blade decorator. Was Ahmet Tekelu's workshop decorating or forging the blades?

I am waiting for permission to post a picture of what looks like an identical yataghan without the decorations, from the collection of the Madrid Royal Armoury.

Incidentally, I am still searching for images of early yataghan from the Siege of Vienna, without any luck.

Emanuel