Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 29th November 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
thinreadline

Hi
These are certainly World Wide Arms products. I have an identical set which I bought for my son over 15 years ago. They looked old and were reasonable quality , but copuld well have been made in India in recent times. However just because they were sold by WWA it does not mean they are fake.. WWA have turned some pretty fantastic pieces of Indo Persian gear over the last 40 years ... in the early days Les Rawlinson was always over in India buying up armouries .
On another point , I am a friend of Roger Evans .. the only miniatures he is interested in are miniaure bayonets , so I dont think he will be much help here .
Old 29th November 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Hi
These are certainly World Wide Arms products. I have an identical set which I bought for my son over 15 years ago. They looked old and were reasonable quality , but copuld well have been made in India in recent times. However just because they were sold by WWA it does not mean they are fake.. WWA have turned some pretty fantastic pieces of Indo Persian gear over the last 40 years ... in the early days Les Rawlinson was always over in India buying up armouries .
On another point , I am a friend of Roger Evans .. the only miniatures he is interested in are miniaure bayonets , so I dont think he will be much help here .
You're right he was interested in bayonets primarily and I had forgotten that detail. Its been a while since talking with him so please send my best regards. His work on "The Plug Bayonet" was outstanding as were his "Cold Steel" articles which I read for many years before becoming acquainted with him.
What is key in his work is the pertinant details which often relate to other fields of arms. Despite the focus on bayonets, his attention to collective detail often offers highly relevant clues to other areas.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 29th November 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Dom

Hi Stu.
in France, ... in the past ... when artisans want to get the title of "master",
they must prepare a project, in their field, and in straight line with their specialty

the project achievement will be called; "chef-d'oeuvre"
either in English; "masterpiece"
but I dunno if the meaning it's the same ?

any way, it's a realization at a scale reduced ...
the better of the best possible, that the candidate at this title, may realize,
then it will be judged by his "pairs" (committee of former masters)
who will decide to "receive, master" or not the candidate

may be your knifes collection could be, a prove from a craftsmanship of a "master" ?
or similar ?

this collection seems from a very good "facture" (workmanship )

rgds

à +

Dom
Old 30th November 2011, 05:49 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi Stu.
in France, ... in the past ... when artisans want to get the title of "master",
they must prepare a project, in their field, and in straight line with their specialty

the project achievement will be called; "chef-d'oeuvre"
either in English; "masterpiece"
but I dunno if the meaning it's the same ?

any way, it's a realization at a scale reduced ...
the better of the best possible, that the candidate at this title, may realize,
then it will be judged by his "pairs" (committee of former masters)
who will decide to "receive, master" or not the candidate

may be your knifes collection could be, a prove from a craftsmanship of a "master" ?
or similar ?

this collection seems from a very good "facture" (workmanship )

rgds

à +

Dom
Yes Dom you are right. I remember items of furniture were also made by apprentices to the master, as an example of their ability to produce worthy items. With the provenance I have (assuming it is correct) these knives COULD also be as you have suggested.
Regards Stu
Old 30th November 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
You're right he was interested in bayonets primarily and I had forgotten that detail. Its been a while since talking with him so please send my best regards. His work on "The Plug Bayonet" was outstanding as were his "Cold Steel" articles which I read for many years before becoming acquainted with him.
What is key in his work is the pertinant details which often relate to other fields of arms. Despite the focus on bayonets, his attention to collective detail often offers highly relevant clues to other areas.

All best regards,
Jim
You are absolutely right , he is a real academic , his field ( forgive the pun ) was agronomy . He always applies a rigorous approach to his research. I will pass on your regards , he has not been well recently .
Regards
Closed Thread