Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd December 2009, 06:42 AM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Just a small question that had me very curious...

I was wondering if you wonderful gentlemen at the Keris Worung Kopi could answer me this question. I've looked for an answer before asking here because it seems like such a minuscule question to ask, especially to start a whole topic for, but It's been keeping me up and I can't for the life of me figure it out!

Basically what I want to know is about blade fittings: Is it considered bad form to have a keris blade made from one region, and then have a handle or sheath for it made in another? For example, if I had a blade that exhibited, say, very Javanese characteristics, would it look ridiculous to the seasoned Keris enthusiast if it had a Balinese hilt?

EDIT: I found the answer here. Apologies for wasting bandwidth!

It [the hilt] is one of the prominent ways of recognizing the origin of a Keris. However, the Ukiran does not always match the Warangka. For instance a Keris owner might want to combine the magnificence of a Madura Ukiran with the elegance a Surakarta ladrang Warangka.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 23rd December 2009 at 06:52 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote