Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th May 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Justin

Default Help with old Spanish? rapier

I picked this one up a while back from ebay Ive showed it to a few people and have ghotten mixed comments some people think its original others think its a 20th century repro.My opinion is that it is either an authentic and very old rapier or its an actual fake {as in it was made and damaged to make it seem old}but I think the 19th/20th cent copy designatuion doesnt fit mainly due to the amount of work put into it,I doubt they would have spent so much time on a wall hanger.

The once elaborate swept guard has been badly crushed{run over by a car?}.Guard was ,without a doubt, investment cast from brass or bronze and very very detailed there are rounded knobs visible in the pics{seven or eight total and many that are missing},all of these are small faces about 1/4in in diameter complete with tiny noses,mouths ect.There is a depiction of a baby{jesus?} in the middle of the knuckle bow on both sides again complete with fingers,toes,eyes,and hair {he is covering his face with his hands.There are also a lot of floral and geometric patterns and some horsemen {dragoons?} whose faces are about 1/16in in diameter also complete with eyes noses ect.Bottom line is that someone spent a lot of time carving this out of wax.

Blade is very very springy has been bent and restraightened several times atleast,edged shows nicks,scrapes scratches and is missing its tip which is rounded over around the break{I have read that this was common on old rapiers.Unless someone purposely damaged this blade it WAS used for fighting.Ricasso is oval in cross section the rest of the blade is diamond tapering in width and thickness from hilt to point,tang is peened through a pommel button,entire grip assembly is loose and wobbly.Any thoughts or comments are appreciated if you guys want more pics Ill be happy to oblige.

Sheath looks like it was from one of those old eagle pommeled 'militia swords' I have seen attributed to the 1700s-e1800s.

Overall it measures 40.25in,blade is 33.5in
Attached Images

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote