Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th May 2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Dinggat

Default Blades from Sarawak, Malaysia

Hi,
I wanted to show my collection, and ask if anyone knows if these are all parangs of the Iban tribe of Sarawak or if they are from other tribes (or if it is even possible to say that).

The first four: My parents brought them from Malaysia some 30 or more years ago (my Mom is from Sarawak, my Dad is from Germany but worked there, and they brought a lot of stuff with them when they moved to Germany):

Another two, my mom brought them from Sarawak in 2007, so I don't know if they are old or new. Hope they are not tourist art.

And I also got one blowpipe and two spears:

-----------------------------------------------------

And finally, I also have a Piso Podang of the Batak tribe of Sumatra. This weapon had made it's way to Borneo into the possession of my mom's family. I don't know the age. My mom then brought it to Germany. Such Piso Podang are not common, but can sometimes be found in the old heirlooms of Iban families (who didn't already sell it). The Japanese style sword below is just worthless souvenir stuff from Spain, don't look at it

Dinggat is offline   Reply With Quote