Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th October 2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Physiological effects of wearing armour and heat

Since we have brought in some great discussion on armour, and we at last have this forum to discuss and archive material for further research, I thought this might be interesting.

While the most typical thoughts concerning armour in the medieval period focus toward either weight of the armour, and of course the old 'chestnut' about knights being hoisted onto thier horses (false), and of course the dreaded rust, it seems that there must have been issues with heat as well.

Some time ago Jens brought this subject up, and it led to some interesting findings, and I have just found my notes so thought I would share them here.

One problem was physiologically, that of either apoplexy or heat prostration, as noted by Dr. F. Kottenkamp in "The History of Chivalry and Armour" (1850, p.89) stating that "...the heat of summer made the armour insupportable and exposed the wearer to the dangers of suffocation and apoplexy or produced at least, such a debility as to disable him from wielding his weapons".

*apoplexy is noted as a sudden usually marked loss of bodily function due to a rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel (brain hemorrhage).

An interesting illustration of this is quite possibly related in the example found in "Brasseys Book of Body Armour" (Robert Wasasnam-Savage, 2000, p.70);
"...the real problem with armour was not its weight, but the way it trapped heat. Body heat resulting from battle exertion could prove fatal. At the Battle of Agincourt (1415) the Duke of York seems to have died of a 'heart attack' brought on by the heat of battle".
While this assumption is made without proper medical protocol of course, it well illustrates that the concerns on these matters were at hand.

"...it is one of the mysteries in the history of armour how the Crusaders can have fought under the scorching sun of the east in thick quilted garments covered with excessively heavy chain mail".
-Brittanica p.392

The subject may have been best summed up by Shakespeare;

"Art thou not fatal vision,
sensible to feeling as to sight?
Or art thou a dagger of the mind,
a false creation...proceeding
from heat oppressed brain?
-MacBeth II, i33
(Brewers, p.237, 13)

Just an aspect of the study of armour not often discussed.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote