Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Raden Usman Djogja

Smile pacul goang and gadung melati

dear kerislovers,

firstly, I ask permission to moderator for posting a new topic which no direct ralation with keris. However, imho in a wider perspective, there is an indirect point of contact between keris as art and other javanese state of arts.

secondly, in this topic, I raise about pacul goang (pacul=hoe ; goang= having a rough surface) and gadung melati (gadung= a kind of tuber; melati=jasmine). Both are javanese gendings (gending=musical composition).

both gendings are usually played if there is someone having a wish to God. Pacul goang is usually played if someone plans to make a gathering such as wedding party whilst at that time is rainy season. by playing this gending, it is hoped that during the wedding party there is no rain. The rain happens before or after that occasion. Relation with keris? During playing this musical compostion, one of the players wears keris which has "singkir" pamor. The best is if the singkir pamor is for "singkir udan" (rain prevention/management). Eventhough, in reality to know which pamor singkir if for rain or for fire or for disease prevention is almost impossible. It is only based on feeling and believe.

gadung melati musical composition has a similiar function with pacul goang. of course, it is for different wish. usually, musician who plays kendang (javanese drums) or gender (javanese xylophone (?)) wears good "luk 7" keris.

kerislovers, what I mentioned above is still debatable. I just heard longtime ago from someone. believing it or not is up to you. if anyone in this forum can share by uploading keris picture which has pamor singkir or which has 7 luks, this topic will be on track for rule of the game of this warung kopi keris. but, if none, I can understand if the moderators will eliminate this topic from the floor.

I also appreciate if someone can upload at youtube.com the two musical compositions mentioned above: pacul goang and gadung melati. Does anyone among kerislovers want to check the relation between keris and gending? wearing keris which has singkir pamor, turning the computer on, listening pacul goang... in winter time
warm salam,
OeS
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote