Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd July 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default The Keris in Early Javanese Literature

In a recent thread in the Forum, that has now been locked, a very interesting question was raised.

A question that should be of interest to all serious keris researchers.

I have opened this question here not because I wish to revisit that closed thread, but rather because this is a most important question and I believe something that needs to be clarified.

The question was this:- when did the word "keris" first appear in Javanese literature.

Zoetmulder tells us that the word "keris" ( or kris, or any other variation of the romanised spelling) appears spread throughout Old Javanese manuscripts back to 919 CE.

He names some of these:-

Arjunawiwaha--composed Mpu Kanwa, patron--Airlangga, circa 1035

Sumanasantaka--composed Mpu Monaguna, patron--Warsajaya, circa 1204

Sutasoma--composed Mpu Tantular, patron--Ranamanggala, circa 1367

Kidung Harsa Wijaya--assumed 13th century

Then we have:-

Krsnantaka, Rangga Lawe, the Malat (Panji) tales, Wanban Wideha, Polenan--- some of these works in Old Javanese are late, some early, but in all cases dates are indefinite.

From this it can be seen that the word "keris" has been around for almost as long as the keris itself. Of course, it is very difficult for us to know exactly the form of the keris that was being referred to in these early texts, but it is probably reasonable to assume that these early references were to an object that bore at least some of the salient features of the modern keris.

I hope that this information will be of use to those amongst us who are involved in serious research into the early keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote