Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st April 2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Kalahari bow, quiver and staff.

I got this set at a car boot sale this morning. The bow is only 106cm long. The arrows 52cm long. The tips are about 1cm. The arrows are made in three parts, wood with a bone insert, metal tip and haft bound on to the piece of bone. The quiver is very cleverly made from a tube of bark, there is no seem. How do they get the wood out just leaving a tube of bark. The quiver also contains a fire drill? A stick holding a lump of gum and some black stuff which may be poison, I am not going to fiddle with it just to be on the safe side. If the arrows were fletched? nothing remains now or any materials for doing so. The bow is really quite strong with some sinew wrapped around each end but the string is hand woven cordage. This set may look as if it was made in toy town or by some kids in the woods but on the contrary it is deadly serious stuff. The arrows tips may be tiny but would deliever an unpleasant death.

I think the staff is fantastic 117cm long the knob part is approx 10cm x 8cm. This would be a big stick for Kalahari people. Would make a great two handed fighting stick.

Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 21st April 2007 at 11:34 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote