Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th February 2007, 01:49 AM   #1
CourseEight

Question Help with Pedang / Translation

Hi there --

I'm a long-time lurker on this forum, and reading it has been a highlight of my day for quite some time now. I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the writing on a pedang I recently purchased, as well as any other observations. The writing is along both sides of the blade. It is not carved into the blade, but rather stands out from the blade, as though the entire blade was etched around it. On each side the writing consists of four sections:

(1) nearest to the handle is a 2x7 (2x8 on the other side) grid with each square having a single character in it. Is this like a buduh? But I've never seen 2x7 or 2x8 before...

(2) next along the blade is a long line of text

(3) Then there is a cartouche with a small amount of writing in it

(4) Finally there is a short amount of text near the tip

I'm fairly certain neither the handle nor the sheath are original to the blade, so I'm not 100% sure the blade is actually that of a pedang. One trait I haven't seen on other pedang on the forum is that the tip curves forward.

I'm attaching four pictures of the sword as a whole, and then five pictures of closups of the writing on one of the sides. I will post the other side's writing as well, in another post. Thanks so much in advance for any help on the translation, and any general thoughts forumites may have!

--Radleigh
Attached Images

Last edited by CourseEight; 19th February 2007 at 01:17 PM.
CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote