Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th December 2006, 03:57 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Proper Bali Grip?

In this excellent thread on fighting with keris the proper grip was demonstrated in two sets of photos on pages 2 and 3 (thank you Alan and Zartane):
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=keris+grip
One set of photos shows this grip with a typical Javanese hilt form and the other with the pistol grip style hilt common on Bugis and Peninsula blades. With both these styles of hilts i find this grip completely comfortable and natural. I have also found this grip comfortable with various other hilts from Madura and with the various Javanese Raksasa hilts i own.
I have a number of Balinese keris with at least 6 distinctly different hilt forms. For me NONE of these hilts seems to comfortably accomodate this particular grip. These hilts are all too big for it, especially at the base where they often widen, sometimes with large seluts. It just seems impossible to hold the hilt with thumb and forefinger on the blade. So, do Balinese hilts call for a completely different grip?
David is offline   Reply With Quote