Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th June 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
ariel

Default New Kilij: need help

Just arrived.
Typical Ottoman Kilij, likely 19th century.The scabbard is clad wth repousseed brass with animal ornaments (horses and birds mainly) and flowers. There are repousseed inscriptions in the medallions on each side of the scabbard. The middle part lacks leather and has very old thin fabric; looks like something original, put under the leather. The ring fitting looks newer; strangely, it is constructed for a baldric, which is more Mameluke/Arabian rather than Turkish. There is a thin brass strip running along the gap, with minimal incised decoration. Why? If leather was supposed to be there, what was the purpose?
The handle is rhino horn, classic pistol grip.
The blade is very nice. It has a lot of worn-out koftgari, and I cannot read the date (too little is left). The spine is ribbed all along, and the percussion point is clearly marked with the twist in the T-spine and golden mark.
If tapped at the base, the blade emits dull, boring sound. It gradually gets marginally better as one taps closer and closer to the point and, suddenly, just a centimeter distal to the percussion point, the sound becomes crystal clear, ringing like a bell. Another centimeter, and it again becomes duller and duller.
Questions:
-Please try to read inscriptions on the scabbard
-What can you say about animal decorations? I do not recall anything like that on Turkish swords.
- Was the suspension re-done to suit Arabian taste?
-Is it usual to see fabric (muslin-like) under leather?
- Brass strip: any purpose or just quick fix of something?
- Have you encountered a similar change in sound in other kilijes? I tested my other one: no effect.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote