Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th May 2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Help required to identify a strange stamp on a Kaskara blade

Hello Everyone,

I have two very ordinary Kaskaras in my collection. The first one I believe to be completely original having a leather scabbard and wooden leather bound hilt with leather disc pommel and iron crossgaurd with two languets one of which has a piece broken off. The 36.75 ins double edged blade has three narrow, shallow fullers for a short distance changing to a single central fuller about which are stamped back to back crescent moon marks.
Having read through the various excellent threads on blade marks I believe that on this sword they are talismanic stamped by a local smith, I also believe that the blade is African made but if possible I would welcome confirmation or otherwise.

The second sword has had its hilt rebound with cord and a replacement steel pommel disc. The scabbard is also a replacement, this work being done about twenty or so years ago. The 35.75 ins double edged blade is slightly more narrow than the first one and has a single central fuller on each side for a short distance. This fuller is wider, deeper and better formed than those on the first sword. On one side, in the centre of the fuller, is a strange stamp mark, I cant make out what it represents, a frog, a turtle I don't know. I have searched through the above mentioned threads together with internet searches but just cant place it. I am hoping that someone will recognize it and also confirm whether or not the blade is African made or European. Both blades are quite springy.
Thank you.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote