Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th February 2016, 12:57 PM   #1
mrcjgscott

Default Zanzibar or Omani Jambiya?

Hello all,

A good friend of mine, knowing of my interest in all things Gurkha, recently showed me this "kukri"!!

I explained that rather than a kukri, it was infact a Jambiya, and a half decent one at that. He was understandably crestfallen, but heartened slightly when i explained a little about it, and its likely origin.

Having read some of the threads about Jambiya on the forum but would like to learn more, both for myself, and to pass along to my friend.

It appears to be old and well worn, and it has some unusual features and also (perhaps) repairs?
It looks like some of the silver nails on the horn hilt have been replaced, especially on the top of the hilt. It also has some on the rear & sides of the pommel as well , perhaps to help hold on a replaced piece of horn where it had been broken in the past..

Interestingly on the scabbard the central 2 rings are faceted whilst the outer ones are smooth.

I would also like to know, if possible where it originated, is it Omani? Do the symbols or patterns in the silver chain stitching have a particular meaning? Do the roundels deliberately mimic the Omani or Zanzibar shield perhaps? Or something else?

I would guess it might be late 19th century, or perhaps early 20th century?

I am hoping other forum members can shed a little more light on it.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote