Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th April 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
DaveA

Default A Kabui or Khasis Dao?

Hello!

Some years ago I obtained this sword (color photos) and sought guidance from forum members on identification. It was suggested to be a Ram Dao, a Malabar chopper, or something else entirely. In the end, there was no consensus or resolution.

I think I may how have an identification: It is dao of the Kabui or Khasis people, of the Brahmaputra valley in Assam.

The B&W photo is plate 36 from "The Indian Sword", P. S. Rawson. The caption identifies it as a dao of the Kabui Nagas, used for ceremonial dancing. This plate is not mentioned in the text, but the Kabui are mentioned briefly on p. 62. "…dancing Daos of the Kabui, to the south of the Khasi hills [in the Brahmaputra valley]". Also on this page is a discussion of the Khasis, a Mon-Khmer speaking people who inhabit the same area. Khasis are descended from the Kukis (origin obscure) whose weapons are "frequently ornamented with brass." This might help explain the brass (or is it copper) hammered into the blade of my sword (see picture).
Unlike the one described, mine is quite sharp.

Do you agree there is a resemblance?

Am I on the right track? Other ideas?

Thanks very much, in advance for you comments.

- Dave A.
Attached Images

Last edited by DaveA; 11th April 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote