Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th March 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Egyptian(?) Helmet .... revisited???

I would have sworn this type of helmet had been discussed here before, but cannot find any thread to confirm that...perhaps someone could help.

The helmet is surely an oddball, but also tells a somewhat sad story.

I have seen several descriptions of this type of helmet as an "Egyptian Guard Corps" helmet from the late 19th century, supposedly even produced in France.

I have seen 4 of these in my collecting career, and only decided to purchase this one because it was far and away the most complete example I had seen, including an European style liner(not pictured).

Assuming it is Egyptian, to me the helmet tells a sad story....of an area of the world that had lost it power and significance...desperately trying to mimic the parade pageantry of the world powers of Europe(note the chinstraps, scales, and liner) while holding on the the more recognisable past (note the nose guard, crescent top, and chain mail neck protector).

It is somewhere between "tacky" and "elegant", but surely interesting.

I would appreciate any knowledge and input about this helmet and most especially any photographic or pictorial evidence of its use.

Comments welcomed....
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 6th March 2013 at 06:10 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote