Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th September 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Zan

Question An European - Manding sword ?

Hello everybody,

I am a long time reader of this forum and for the first time, I want to submit to your opinion a sword. As you can see, it is an obvious European sabre from the 19th or the first half of the 20th century, but with some kind of Manding scabbard and with other African markings on the handle.

I have obtained it in Mopti, Mali, from a seller who was of little help about its origin (he told me it is a 100% Peulh sword!). Since the Manding country is very near Mopti and the Manding swords are often made from a scavenged European blade, it is possible that this one is of Manding origin, but with the European pommel not replaced. Also, the Bamanan (Bambara) ethnic group is very dominant in Mali and closely related to the Mandings, so it is possibly a Bamanan-influenced sword. There is maybe also a Tuareg influence, but the two “balls” of leather thongs are not typical. At first glance, I though the scabbard was tourist-made for facilitating the selling of the sabre, but it has some signs of wear and seam to be too old for this purpose.

I am an African edged weapons collector, so I really don’t know the origin of the original European sword. I suppose it is French, since Mali was a French colony (but maybe I oversimplify). The previous owner has proceeded to a very rough restoration, so there is unfortunately not a single marking on the blade.

The very interesting thing about this sword is the « ethnographical » background of it. We have an obvious European sabre recuperated by a completely different ethnic group (a West-African one), by making some markings on it and by remaking the scabbard in the typical style of this ethnic group. Since then, it is no more a European sword, but, let say, a Manding one.

Any help and comment on the two ethnographic backgrounds of this sword would be very appreciated!
Attached Images

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote