Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th December 2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Mefidk

Question How to id a European kaskara blade?

Hi folks - I wonder if anyone can help with an opinion on this?

I recently obtained two kaskara that's with what look like trade blades, but I am unsure whether they are or not. I've seen very similar swords described as both trade blades and locally made, so I wonder if there is any way to nail this down?

One blade is pretty good, the other seems almost identical in size (87 & 86 cm long respectively), and form but is in pretty poor condition. The hilt on that one was loose so I've removed ready for cleaning and to see the tang. Both blades bear the often discussed 'comet' mark but no other marks are present. The fullers are very similar, wide, shallow and not perfectly executed. This makes me think that they are locally made, but the steel quality seems to be higher than those of the locally made swords of the region that I own. I wondered if the tang could give any clues since we don't normally get to see this? The tang does not seem specifically designed to fit the hilt, being held in place by green cloth padding as can be seen on one of the pictures, so more or less any shape would have done (I guess).

Thoughts and pointers on this gladly received - at the moment I'm 50:50, low quality trade blade: locally made, so even a leaning would be good

Chris
Attached Images

Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote