Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th October 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Brass-hilted Sosun Pattah for Comment/Discussion with a Translation Request...

So 2011 has so far been a pretty good year on the collecting front. But a couple weeks ago, I had the chance to pick up what I believe to be one of my best finds of the year...

This was the "crown jewel" in a moderate-sized local collection, a brass-hilted sosun pattah I believe dates to the mid-18th century (or thereabouts). The old collection tag reads, "Sosun Patta -- from Mysor, S. India." However, in sharing this with a couple forumites, both a possible Deccan and Rajput attribution have been discussed as well.

The sword measures about 78 cm in length. The blade is of wedge-shaped, triangular cross-section, and measures 67 cm long and 3.5 cm in width for the length of the blade until it swells at the forward curve. There is a false edge that extends 26 cm from the (armor-piercing) tip. The ricasso measures 5.4 cm. There is a cartouche, in Urdu I think, on the obverse (pics below).

But IMO the real gem is the brass hilt. The iconography incorporates Hindi makara and Mughal floral chiseling with what appears to be a Mysore bubri motif on the sides of the (face of the) zoomorphic pommel, styled in the form of what looks like a makara-stylized tiger (or tiger-stylized makara?). The figural quillons are also of makara form, though the figural langlets lack the distinctive upturned snout present on the quillons and the pommel, and to my eye they appear feline in form.

The grip is divided into four panels, one panel covering the top, the bottom, and each side of the grip. The floral chiseling repeats on each panel.

Anyway, I think it's a fine piece that exhibits the nuanced integration of the many cultural influences present in 18th century India. I'm hoping someone can assist with a translation of the (partial) cartouche in the hopes that it may help further assist in attributing this piece to a more specific time, place, or even person.

In looking at (more than a few) references over the past couple of weeks, there definitely appears to be a significant deviation from the "usual" makara depiction, and the pointed (top-mounted) ears, bubri motif, and stripes on the back of the head all look distinctly tigerish to my eyes…

I know the zoomorphic pommel & langlets are found on Lucknow hilts, but aren't Lucknow hilts usually enameled?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and observations…
Attached Images

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote