Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th August 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Edge

Smile Saudi Jambiya - dagger

Hi guys, this is my first post!
I don't know much about weapons (as I have other hobbies) but having read some posts on this messageboard, I saw a lot of you guys know a lot or are willing to learn and I think that's cool. I'm anti violence but I do think some weapons look aesthetically look cool and I am interested in their history (background of cultures), craftsmanship and technology. It's great and fun to learn new things

I recently purchased the following Saudi dagger, and from my research (and as you guys probably know 100%) I found out they are called Jambiyas. Most of these Jambiyas are made in Yemen, but some were made in other places like Saudi Arabia and Oman (distinct fot smaller and more curved-almost 90degrees).

I found these links which show almost identical Saudi Jambiyas as the ones I have posted in the images below

http://www.antigaarabia.co​m/uploads/102-103.pdf
and http://www.antigaarabia.co​m/da.pdf

They say they were made between the late 19th century (late 1800s) and early 20th century (early 1900s) in a place called Asir which is located South West of Saudi Arabia near the Yemen border.

I asked the seller I got it from if they know anything about it and they said: they bought this dagger from a really old man in Rihad, Saudi Arabia in the 1970's who told them it was made in a place called Najran province of Saudi near the Yemani border, The craftsmen were skilled Jews that excelled in silver and gold craftsmanship. They produced some of the finest work of the Arabian peninsula during the late19 century/early 20th century. They said that's all they knew about the dagger, and that it is a very fine example of a Saudi silver, and that most of the other Saudi daggers are of inferior workmanship and are often made in Yeman.

I did further research about Rihad, which i found to be spelt Riyadh on most websites and wikipedia (I know it's not a great source but anyway it) says that the place had people from different nationalities and Jews were silversmiths there, and afterwards the place was being fought over between Yemen and Saudi Arabia; which Saudi Arabia eventually took over. After the 'creation' of Israel after WW2, many of them were flown over to Israel in something i foudn to be called Operation Magic Carpet (I'm not kidding about the name-look it up-i was surprised).

Regarding the dagger, it is almost 60cm long (hard to calculate because it is curved) but it isn't small! it is as big as from my waist to my knee and I'm 1,80m tall, so it's like a small sword. I don't know if the outside scabbard is silver but the only thing a magnet would attach to was the actual blade, which is a tiny bit sharp (haven't tested it or want to). Another thing is, it's pretty heavy, and the scabbard is half the weight (around 500g), altogether I'm guessing it weighs 1kg.

I don't know if the blade is something called 'wootz', it was very difficult to photograph the blade as it was extremely shiny, it has tiny lines in it (I hope it's not done by a wire brush-bad restoration) but they are tiny all over the place as if they are withtin the blade itself.

I'm also curious if these are in any museum (altough I got this to pass onto my children because it looks sweet), I absolutely love the scabbard design, I'm pretty sure it's between 60 and 100years old at least and is hand made.

I have often read on the internet and on forums that this dagger is a 'wahabite' dagger, however many people say that this is a wrong definition to use.

Khanjar1, archer are some users on this messageboard which have posted similar daggers, I am here to learn, and anything you can tell me about it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 8th August 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote