Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
A Senefelder

Default Composite Sword

I'm posting this piece for a friend who brought it to me to have a look at. He got it at I believe Bonhams where it had been listed simply as " composite rapire ". It is a bit of a curiousity.

The blade which appears to be original to the later 17th or earlier 18th century is 31 and 3/4 inches long. It has what i've always know as a " military sharpen " that is to say that on the front half of both edges of the blade are shaprened. There is a short fuller at the base of the blade with the name xx FREDREICO xxx PICHINIO xx in it on both sides. There are engraved on the blade on both side along the length of the fuller and for several inches passed it floral spryas, trophied arms and a little man running with a sword. The engraving is the same on both sides.

The pommel and grip seem to possibly be original material although whether they and the blade are associated I can't tell.

The piece that forms the pas d'ane is much cruder than the rest of the steel parts and i'm unsure if this is original. The quillions may be original ( the finiel has come off one end ) but the brass knuckle bow I do not believe is ( it and the basket are the only non - steel components and are of lower quality than most of the steel parts ) and both are set in the rough pas d'ane block in slots and held in place by a rivet than passes through all three.

The basket is the most curious thing about the sword. It is big, bulky and very loose ( I do not believe it was ever tight ). It is far to narrow to allow a hand in comfortably in it and if you can get a hand in it is impossible to hold the sword in any proper period stances. It is brass and both sides have the same four emblems on them. One is Christ on the cross, next to that in the middle is two cherubic figures holding what appears to be a portrait of Ceasar surrounded by the motto PRODEO ET PATRIA FREDREICO III AVSTRIA 1471 ( I do not believe 1471 to be a date but one of the numerolgically important numbers that appeared on blades in the 16th and 17th centuries like 1414 ). Above that is a five pointed star with a sword through its middle with a crown with corss atop it on the swords point. On the other side of the motto is skull and crossed bones wearing a crown with a cross atop it. The baskets decorative motif seems almost fraternal, perhaps Freemasonic. The original basket ( I suspect it was perhaps a cup hilt ) sat lower on the blade than the current one as evidenced by the notches on either side of the blade just below it.

The blade, rough pas d'ane block, grip and pommel are tight together, the quillions are loose from the basket knocking around. My best guess is some sort of fraternal European assembly from the 18th or 19th century using mostly later 17th century parts that may or may not be associated.

Any thoughts or ideas on this piece are most appreciated on this odd item.
Attached Images

A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote