Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th June 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Chindit machete (?)

This one finished recently on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6537089740

It looks very much like a British Dah Mk. 3 machete (1944) that was used in some of the Burma campaigns of WWII. In particular, the leather sheath is typical for that machete. The hilt on this example is far better than standard issue, and resembles the one found on the British Dah Mk. 2. A while back I received an email from an elderly British man who had served in Wingate's Chindit force, who told me that an example I had posted several years ago in the Old Forum was actually a Chindit machete. These had been made in India and were fitted with the older Mk. 2 style of hilt. In the example linked above, the hilt shown is of the same general style as the Dah Mk. 2 but much fancier and done in a Burmese manner -- obviously a replacement, but an old one. A rare and unusual military machete. Alas, I was outbid for this item. Hopefully, the winner knows what he has and maybe would share some more pictures here.

I posted pictures of my example in the Old Forum on this thread Mystery Chopper/Machete. Carter Rila correctly identified the machete at that time.

Here are some details on the Chindits and their leader, Major General Wingate.

"The Chindits were the largest of the allied Special Forces of the 2nd World War. They were formed and lead by Major General Orde Wingate DSO. The Chindits operated deep behind enemy lines in North Burma in the War against Japan. For many months they lived in and fought the enemy in the jungles of Japanese occupied Burma, totally relying on airdrops for their supplies. There were two Chindits expeditions into Burma, the first in February 1943 Operation Longcloth, consisted of a force of 3,000 men who marched over 1,000 miles during the campaign. The second expedition, Operation Thursday, in March 1944 was on a much larger scale. It was the second largest airborne invasion of the war and consisted of a force of 20,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers with air support provided by the 1st Air Commando USAAF. Tragically their leader, General Wingate, was killed a few weeks after the launch of Operation Thursday."

Quoted from Chindits Special Force Burma 1942-1944, http://www.chindits.info/

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote