Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th April 2010, 01:30 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Paint primer on old weapons?

I've been trying to research this phenomenon for awhile, but with little effect. I am looking for any solid information showing that there were some arms that were primed/painted/tarred to preserve the iron and prevent corrosion. Here is what little I have found over the years...

Obviously, black primer has been being used on naval weapons at least from the 1790's period on. The early Brit and American double disc hilt/Figure 8 hilts had this feature on their hilts only, as did other naval swords of the mid-18th thru 19th century. I have a fairly well documented naval grappling hook in a red brown primer contemporary to its use (early/mid- 19th c.) Other items of naval usage were tarred to retard rusting.

Spike tomahawks and hammer pole axes often had painted/stained heads, whether this indicating that they were more for tool use or not, I am not clear.
The primary "paint" colors from the time of the Revolution onward consisted of barn red/brown, olive green and even a bright blue (the blue I have seen on gun powder kegs, canteens, etc from the 18th on, possibly earlier?) I have a Rev War rum/powder keg with lashed hoop bindings painted green/black.

I have seen some old 16th-17th c. seige weapons/tools, such as German kriegs sickles (spelling!)/forks with blackened/primed blades. Again, perhaps this was because they were primarily tools in times of peace and perhaps the covering extended their life???

I'm hoping others may know of weapon examples with primed blades. Of course I am particularly interested due to the Dutch sword I posted recently having a very old primed brown blade. Any info or examples, folks? Thanks in advance.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote