Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd September 2008, 04:01 AM   #1
TVV

Default Smallsword for comments

I hate to have this very modest smallsword as the first weapon to be discussed here, but I have had it for almost a year now without knowing much about it and these forums are the only place I feel really comfortable posting it.
Can you help me with some questions?
1. Is this a smallsword or is this more of a later court swrod?
2. What period is it in? If this helps, I believe the pas d'anes look symetrical.
3. Could it be attributed to a certain Geographical area?

Thank you all for your answres,

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well done Teodor! Now that is interesting, I've honestly never seen a smallsword with hilt completely done in brass. Looking forward to some responses, and anxious to know more on this as well.

No markings I presume?

Thank you for posting this to get things going,

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In checking "The Smallsword in England" , J.Aylward, 1945, there is really not a hilt that corresponds to this one, which though very attractive, is by smallsword standards quite workmanlike. It seems rudimentally styled in line with the tall hilt and pronounced pas d'ane rings of mid 18th century.

It is noted by Aylward that brass hilts were typically not highly regarded as were the very ornate and chiseled hilts often favored with these fashion oriented swords. Also, that they were "...usually a casting left almost untouched as it came from the molds, copying in a summary kind of way the features of the more expensive hilts of its period" (p.55).

It is noted that these were usually furnished by 17th century rapier blades, often German made (but carrying the Spanish names often spuriously applied).
It seems this blade is likely a genuine 18th century smallsword example. It also states in the book that in 1760's and somewhat later German makers produced rather plain hilts for English market.

At least this gives us some idea on this one, I would think probably about latter 18th century. Whether considered rather pedestrian or not by smallsword enthusiasts, I think its a rather handsome weapon, and looks like it could be pretty lethal (though Aylward claims the brass hilts were heavy and not well balanced).

Those are just my ideas from this book, and I hope there are others out there that might offer observations as well. Smallswords are really pretty specialized, but a most fascinating topic that it would be great to learn more about.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Henk

I found in the book by Robert Wilkinson-Latham, Swords in colour a page with fancy swords. My copy is in Dutch. These swords originate from England, France and Italy.
I think Jim is right about the dating, 1700 to 1750.

The one on picture 17 on the left comes close to your sword. The hilts however are silver or steel. Looks like brass hilts are rather uncommon.
Attached Images

Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 12:07 AM   #5
TVV

Jim and Henk,

Thank you for your responses.

I agree that whoever was the original owner of my smallsword was on a tight budget and this was perhaps the best he could afford. The brass does not bear any traces of gilt, and is therefore as plain as it gets.

Thanks for helping me narrow the time frame to the second half of the 18th century.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 02:07 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While these brass hilt weapons may well have been inexpensive, I am wondering if their simplicity may have been due to practicality, and intended as purely fighting pieces. I know that officers often had dress or levee swords, undress for official functions, and combat weapons which were pretty much strictly business. I also am wondering if a weapon such as this might have been in that category for maritime use by an officer.

The first thing everyone would say of course is 'where is the fouled anchor marking ?'. It is known of course that brass was favored in maritime hilts due to potential corrosion. Just things to consider.

Still think its a quite handsome piece, but I like 'real deal' weapons, simple but effective.