Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th October 2006, 11:41 PM   #1
katana

Default A Problem when searching older threads...

Hi, everyone.....I've noticed repeatedly the problem (and frustration) of missing images from older threads.......
The problem is mainly noticeable when threads refer to an eBay auction....often only a link is provided.
The trouble is... after 90 days the listing is removed completely (by eBay).
The other problem is the fact that a lot of people have their eBay auction pictures held on a photo-hosting site....fine when the auction is running...but often the images are removed when its finished. In this case the eBay link still shows the description etc. (for 90 days)...but no pictures.
I think it would useful, for our ethnographic community, that pictures are copied and downloaded onto the thread, so they are permanent. If copy right is an issue......surely we could ask permission from the seller.

What do you think........
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 08:02 AM   #2
wolviex

The idea is good until it's fine to post someone else's pictures without his agreement.

A good solution could be saving interesting auctions as html on your local hard disc. Using IE just go to menu --> 'file' and choose 'save as..". Later you can burn CD and never worry about missing pictures
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Spunjer

Quote:
I think it would useful, for our ethnographic community, that pictures are copied and downloaded onto the thread, so they are permanent. If copy right is an issue......surely we could ask permission from the seller.
as far as i'm concern, pics posted on the world wide web is public domain. i really don't understand the reason on why some people get teed off whenever a picture they posted on the 'net get 'copied' and posted on a different website. when that pic is posted, he's showing it to the world. i reckon once you posted it, it's public domain. my two centimos...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I believe it's a matter of what is called 'fair use' for educational purposes .

Mark is our expert in this field of law.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Spunjer

my bad, rick. pics that are posted for public domain use, i.e. playstation2 from sony, then those are legal if you wanna copy -n- paste. but yeah, you're right, private photos that are posted are within 'fair use' practice. i still think that whenever i post something in the internet, i'm posting for the world to see, with the knowledge that it's open season if someone wants to copy and paste it for their personal use. if i'm somehow iffy about something, maybe a watermark on the pics will lessen the chance of someone using it.

katana, you do have a valid point tho. i've thought about your suggestion before and it just makes good sense.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

No , not your bad Ron, I was saying that I think we're on the same page; if an image is posted on the 'net then it may be reused for educational purposes; OTOH if you were to use it in a commercial sense that is forbidden .

Since this place is free and non-profit I 'think' but I'm not 'sure' (where is Mark); that this is okay .

Maybe David knows something about this being a pro photog.; paging David !!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote