Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
katana

Default Heavy Nubian / Nigerian Short sword...age? comments?

Just won this ...a Nigerian short sword , 12" (30cms) blade which is 3/16" (4.5mm) thick, double edged . The hilt is bronze, (lost wax cast around the blade) This sword is quite heavy 3lbs 5 ozs (1.5 kgs) No scabbard .
The 'Gladius' similarities are obvious....a nice sword for close quarter fighting. I tried to research this type of sword with little sucess....however, I did find a 'similar' one on Therion Arms which had the addition of a cross guard.

http://therionarms.com/antiques/ttoy409.html

Not certain as to how old this piece is.....however the oxidation of the bronze hilt is consistant with some age. It has evidence of all three stages of oxidation....overall discolouration..dark brown copper oxide film. The formation of copper sulphate which creates thin, light green patches on the more exposed areas. Finally dark scabs and pitting.

Please if anyone has any information or comments they are most welcome/
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I have never seen any of these ever!!!. Some better pics would help. Can we be sure of the opinion you show. Personally i am really not at all sure that this is African .
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
katana

Hi Tim,
I have not yet received the sword....so better pics will have to come later. The seller trades alot of African items from West Africa and this is where the sword was sourced. Not that it proves IT IS African....personally my 'gut instinct' says African...the diagonal lines seem typical, the cylindrical 'guardless' hilt etc. The example on Therion is very similar in dimension, weight, the cylindrical hilt and blade design. The blade (on Therion)is 1 3/8" (3.4 cms) longer and is 1/2" (1.2 cm) wider, although mine weighs approx. 5 1/2 ozs more. (approx 150g).
The 'Gladius' was hugely successful for the Roman Army, seeing that the coastal areas of North Africa were Roman controlled for many years...I do not think it unreasonable that the design may have been adopted and spread via trading routes. In fact, I am surprised that 'gladius' styled swords seem very atypical,for Africa, especially in certain environments where swinging a larger sword would be awkward.
However, I really like the simplicity and 'meatyness' of this sword and if they are rare......ish for Africa and this turns out to be from there.....then
Old 8th October 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Probably from Benin

Katana:

I think your sword is mostly likely from Benin (formerly Dahomey). The heavy bronze/brass hilt with chevron designs is typical of Benin work. There is a previous thread that considerd other Benin swords (hwe) here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=300

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 11:18 PM   #5
katana

Thanks Ian,
now I can add a few more 'key words' in google and see what it turns up
Old 9th October 2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

I do beg your pardon. I have always associated "hwi" "ada" and "udamalore" as some of the finest and high status work of the city states of West Africa. Much like old fashioned city mayor regalia, its quality varies depending on it wealth and affiliation to the royal household. It does not look like a fighting weapon to me, what do you think? I felt unsure because of the apparent ageing to the brass with not a lot of sign of frequent fondling I love saying that.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote