Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2006, 08:41 PM   #1
katana

Question Massai ceremonial initiation spear for comment

Hi everyone,
I have recently acquired this interesting initiation spear, a ritualistic piece from an initiation society of the Masai people, associated with rite-of-passage rituals for boys Apparently, this item was presented to a Victorian Missionary and had been kept in the family since then .The overall condition is very good, and definately has an air of age. The workmanship is excellent, the iron blade is thin with a central rib, hide and animal hair (Lion mane ?) adorn the handle area , the spear ends with a forged iron spike. The spear is approx 45,5'' / 116cms long, the blade is 6.5'' / 16.5cm. I would appreciate any input or information, thankyou

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I almost bid on this. I think it is a very nice thing to have , It is not Victorian. I also have my doubts it is Massai, personally I think it comes from further south like northen South Africa , Lesotho or there abouts and nothing to do with boys. The skin and hair is bovine. I shall try and find some pictures. Great story, it is a good thing and you got it at a very good price. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Luc LEFEBVRE

Arrow

I'm not sure it is Masai, they have 2 kinds of spears you can see them on my website :http://lulef.free.fr/html/masai.html
Tutsi in Rwanda have spears like yours.
Nice acquisition.
Luc
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:06 PM   #4
galvano

Default hi

my massai blade
galvano
Attached Images

galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

I think Luc might have put his finger on it. Here is a picture of a Angoni warrior, a branch of South African {Zulu?} people that were raiding neighboring people around lake Tanganyika and towards Nyassaland. Note the similar all steel spear. Tim

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 11:09 AM   #6
katana

Thankyou for all your replies. I wasn't convinced that the spear was Masai, due to the spear blade's shape. I had tried to research the Masai initiation ceremonies but could find no reference to boys using such ceremonial spears.
Unfortunately, it seems nearly 'every' spear I have seen is often falsely described as either Zulu or Masai, to enhance the price. However, this spear is well crafted, old and of interest. I would like to 'nail' the origin of the spear.
Thankyou Tim, again, for your Knowledge of African weapons, could you suggest any books on the subject? (ie knives, swords and spears).
katana is offline   Reply With Quote